breaking in my new 08 yz450f

9 replies to this topic
  • mcduffey707

Posted December 27, 2010 - 05:10 AM

Hi i just brought a brand new 08 yz450f a couple days ago. I live in michigan and its in the 20s and my dad and my brother told me they dont think its a good idea to break in the bike in the cold temp cause they think its not good for the engine. Can you guys tell me if its true and should wait till spring or would it be allright.

• YamaLink

Posted December 27, 2010 - 08:39 AM

Several good replies for ya in the YZF forum.

• William1

Posted December 27, 2010 - 11:44 AM

Google "motottune"

Temp means almost nothing If it is 20+ degrees out, you are fine.

• MANIAC998

Posted December 28, 2010 - 05:02 AM

Google "motottune"

Don't you think the jetting will be way off? I know there bathed in oil and all, but personally, I don't like running any of my engines lean. Especially while breaking in a new engine. Maniac

• zukboy789

Posted December 28, 2010 - 05:18 AM

When did the FI get put on these bike? I think it was 09 so yes, your engine may be lean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dgcars

Posted December 28, 2010 - 05:50 AM

Google "motottune"

+1. No worries. Tape up one rad if you think it is not heating up.

• William1

Posted December 28, 2010 - 07:22 AM

Don't you think the jetting will be way off? I know there bathed in oil and all, but personally, I don't like running any of my engines lean. Especially while breaking in a new engine. Maniac

Not a problem.

Even if the bike was so lean as to barely run, no damage would ensue. This is not a air cooled two stroke. After the engine has run for five minutes, it is broken in.

• Col Psoas

Posted December 29, 2010 - 02:16 PM

Just make sure you follow the manual and change the oil pretty quick (can't remember the exact specs)

enjoy your new toy :excuseme:

• mcduffey707

Posted January 03, 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody and ive broken in the bike and its a beast and love it.

• dgcars

Posted January 03, 2011 - 04:20 PM

Nice one - enjoy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.