520 non-0-ring chain reccommendations

9 replies to this topic
  • YamaJet

Posted December 26, 2010 - 06:10 AM

I tried searching but got way too many results.
What chain do you guys reccommend, nothing fancy just a good chain that is resistant to stretching. Ride woods and perform chain maint. after every ride.
Thanks!!

• crf450319

Posted December 26, 2010 - 07:05 AM

I'm not sure about non o-ring chains as I don't use them, I had a DID ERT2 on my bike a couple of years ago and it was crap. A regina ORN6 (o-ring) is $95 shipped on E-bay, or $82 shipped from Rocky Mountain MC and is a far superior chain in comparison to the ERT2. Right now I've got a DID ERV3 on my bike, they don't wear much better than the ORN6 (if at all) but they are more expensive.

• grayracer513

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:27 AM

If you want a chain that resists stretching, stop resisting sealed chains and get an ORN6 by Regina. No trick WXYZ ring seals, just O-rings. My maintenance schedule is to wash the dirt off with low pressure water, spray with Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard, and... wait, that's all there is to it. They last me over two years of desert racing/riding. Makes the sprockets last longer when the chain doesn't stretch, too.

• BBrown626

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:54 AM

I use the DID X-ring with similar results, but higher cost. I put the Regina on my 450 a couple years ago. I sold it to a buddy after just a couple rides with that chain. It is still firmly riveted on there with zero complaints in 2 years of frequent riding. Well worth the money. You won't regret the Regina. You will replace your non O-ring chain a few times in the same period and your sprockets too.

• YamaJet

Posted December 26, 2010 - 10:26 AM

OK you guys talked me into it. I'll try the Regina ORN6. Do you guys use a clip master or Rivet? What rivet tool would you recommend? I'd like to use it on the 530 chain on my street bike when it needs a chain too.
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted December 26, 2010 - 11:09 AM

I use the DID ert2 chain just because a buddy of mine gets them for me for so cheap I cant resist. I have 9 hours on it and had to adjust it twice.

• grayracer513

Posted December 26, 2010 - 11:24 AM

Do you guys use a clip master or Rivet? What rivet tool would you recommend?

I buy the ORN6 with the clip type master link under the MSR brand through the TT store. The ORS6 is the same chain (rated slightly stronger, but not a big deal) with a rivet type master. The only thing you need to watch with the clip type is wear on the edges of the clip from rubbing the guide. I replace the clips once or twice during the life of the chain at a cost of $2 each.

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=544

• YamaJet

Posted December 26, 2010 - 04:41 PM

Thanks guys, parts are on the way!!!

• Polar_Bus

Posted December 27, 2010 - 04:53 AM

Thanks guys, parts are on the way!!!

Yamaha YZ rear swingarm guides are VERY wear abusive on master link clips, especially premium O and X ring type chains that have thicker link plates. I "almost " lost a clip from excessive wear. I like to smear some Permatex RTV sealant around the clip just as some added insurance retaining the clip. I do this to my dirt and street bikes if they use a clip type master link..

• YamaJet

Posted December 27, 2010 - 06:23 AM

Yamaha YZ rear swingarm guides are VERY wear abusive on master link clips, especially premium O and X ring type chains that have thicker link plates. I "almost " lost a clip from excessive wear. I like to smear some Permatex RTV sealant around the clip just as some added insurance retaining the clip. I do this to my dirt and street bikes if they use a clip type master link..

Thanks
Clips are a point of concern for me so I'll be keeping a close eye on it. I'll probably end up buying a chain riveter for my street bikes (07 FZ1, 78 GS1000). The loss of a clip at 100 MPH can be catastophic for the bike and myself.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.