matel shaving in oil

3 replies to this topic
  • cmcsocal74

Posted December 24, 2010 - 05:28 PM

hello i have a recently rebuilt 07 yz 450 and noticed i still have matel shaving in my oil , sorta thought with a some what new engin i would have no shavings in my oil? was also told if im changing my oil after every weekend trip that regular 10/40 moter oil would be ok? thanks tt

• rustyphantom

Posted December 26, 2010 - 04:28 PM

don't use friction modified oils in wet clutch applications!!!! Won't notice right away but over time it gets into the pores of the fiber plates in the clutch.

Most car motor oils are friction modified.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • capt justin

Posted December 26, 2010 - 05:01 PM

10/40 will be fine, also the shavings you found might be clutch material, post a pic if you can

• crf450319

Posted December 26, 2010 - 06:27 PM

Most of the time you will see fine shavings in your filter after an engine re-build, I've noticed that I'll see them for the first 2 or 3 oil changes after the new parts have been installed. We're not talking big chunks though, just fine pieces in the folds of the filter.

Your clutch plates aren't aluminum, I guess you could get some debris from the basket itself if it's starting to get chewed up ? Take your clutch cover off and have a look, that's a quick easy way to confirm or eliminate the clutch being the culprit.

I wouldn't use any regular 10/40 oil, buy something motorcycle specific and preferrably a synthetic oil. I run Amsoil MCF and change it every 6.5 to 7 hours of MX riding, I change the filter every oil change as well. Good oil is the cheapest insurance you can get !

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.