Will a 06 and newer yz450f shock fit an 03yz450f

14 replies to this topic
  • NJDirtdog1

Posted December 24, 2010 - 09:09 AM

Humm i thought i but rear shock guess thats why you should preview. But yes i am wondering about the rear shock.

• mikedabike

Posted December 25, 2010 - 07:28 PM

Yes, might be a slightly different length but it will work.

• grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2010 - 08:05 PM

The '06 is a bit of an upgrade, too. A but more refined, and I think it's a larger diameter with a beefier shaft.

• gscx

Posted December 25, 2010 - 08:39 PM

I know that the shaft is a larger diameter but is the valving the only other thing that is changed? I have seen post about stiction with the bigger shaft but im sure its not really noticeable. I have a 05 shock on my bike and i thought that the only difference was the shock shaft. And improved valving of course, but that is changed with a re-valve anyway.

• NJDirtdog1

Posted December 27, 2010 - 09:10 AM

Well thank you all for the info. Apparently the shock seals blew out in my stock and i am looking to replace the whole thing cost effective wise. I have found a few on ebay. Does anyone know anything about eibach springs?

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2010 - 09:20 AM

Does anyone know anything about eibach springs?

Such as what?

• NJDirtdog1

Posted December 27, 2010 - 09:28 AM

Such as what?

Well i found a shock with an eibach spring in it off an 04. I have the numbers of the shock, but eibach is closed for the holiday so i can't get any info from them. 992.0336.1 Now i went on there website and i cant find anything out about this spring. Im just trying to figure out the spring rate. I read that the stock spring rate is 5.02, so i just am hoping that the spring is close to the stock rate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NJDirtdog1

Posted December 27, 2010 - 09:55 AM

Actually from what i am figuring out off there site the second number .0336 would be the spring rate. Meaning 3.36 so i am going to go with thats to light a rate for me and most and could be why the shock hasn't sold.

• myoung

Posted December 27, 2010 - 10:18 AM

Actually from what i am figuring out off there site the second number .0336 would be the spring rate. Meaning 3.36 so i am going to go with thats to light a rate for me and most and could be why the shock hasn't sold.

I wouldn't trust that, I'd keep seeking the right answer. A 3.36 spring wouldn't even hold the bike up. :excuseme:

• NJDirtdog1

Posted December 27, 2010 - 10:39 AM

I wouldn't trust that, I'd keep seeking the right answer. A 3.36 spring wouldn't even hold the bike up. :busted:

:excuseme: Yeah i could be wrong, guess i will keep searching.

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2010 - 10:57 AM

Stock rate for the '04 was a 5.3 kg/mm, an '06 was a titanium 5.5. The part number of an Eibach spring will show you the rate, but that number doesn't look long enough to me.

Your '04 uses the same series springs as the '06 though, so if nothing else, you can simply switch your spring onto the '06 shock.

• NJDirtdog1

Posted December 27, 2010 - 03:48 PM

Stock rate for the '04 was a 5.3 kg/mm, an '06 was a titanium 5.5. The part number of an Eibach spring will show you the rate, but that number doesn't look long enough to me.

Your '04 uses the same series springs as the '06 though, so if nothing else, you can simply switch your spring onto the '06 shock.

Yes that would be another idea i could try... http://performance-s...ication_look_up This is where i am getting my eibach info from it seems like i am right there with how to decipher the rating on the spring but 3.3kg doesn't seem right.

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2010 - 04:24 PM

The part number you posted was 992.0336.1. You'll note that this completely fails to comply with any of the listed front or rear springs for the '06 YZ450. The spring size series (first three digits) is wrong, and the rate would be 33.6 kg/mm (car spring).

• NJDirtdog1

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:15 AM

The part number you posted was 992.0336.1. You'll note that this completely fails to comply with any of the listed front or rear springs for the '06 YZ450. The spring size series (first three digits) is wrong, and the rate would be 33.6 kg/mm (car spring).

Yes actually i went back and noticed this also. All i know is it must be nice to work for eibach considering they are still closed on the holiday and its tuesday.

• NJDirtdog1

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:17 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT Here is the shock and spring also, that is the number i am getting off of it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.