YZF450 sticky carb?

4 replies to this topic
  • NZ Boy

Posted December 24, 2010 - 12:31 AM

Got a 04 YZF450 that won't idol and back fires on decell, runs fine on full noise. Hasn't been riden in a while so i think its the float valve or needle? Not an expert by any means, Any DIY help would be great

• mikewrf18

Posted December 24, 2010 - 12:38 AM

I'd start by draining the float, and putting fresh gas in the tank, to eliminate that issue if you haven't done so already. It's probably a clogged jet though. Pull the jets and clean them or replace them. If you clean them, make sure you blow the passages out with compressed air afterward. How long has it been since it's been ridden?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NZ Boy

Posted December 24, 2010 - 01:33 AM

its been a year or so, gas got drained and freshend but nothing has been touched in the carb as yet, Will check it out

• brentn

Posted December 24, 2010 - 01:51 AM

pilot jet is clogged

• Mr. Neutron

Posted December 24, 2010 - 08:22 AM

A couple of years ago, Dirt Rider Magazine put this article out on how to take apart/work on/clean/re-assemble an FCR carb like our bike s use.

http://www.dirtrider...uild/index.html

Maybe this will help ya get the thing figured out, I hope??

They (Dirt Rider Mag) recently put this article back in another 1 time magazine they made where they recycled a lot of their old how-to & tech article. I don't know if it's available in New Zealand, but I'll find you a copy if you can pay my way over there, hee hee....

Hope this helps some, & Have A Merry Christmas!
Jimmie

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.