Excel Rims For Real?

8 replies to this topic
  • Amador

Posted March 20, 2001 - 11:32 AM

Does anybody know if the Excel rims that come stock on yz's are the same quality as the ones that you would purchase seperately?
I have a 2000 426 and I have bent both of them! If they are the same quality than I don't know what all of the hipe is about. I had DID rims on my last bike and I never bent them. I want to buy new excels, but not if I'm going to bend them again. If I was a superstar than I would understand. They can only take so much abuse. But I'm not. Just a weekend warrior with bent rims.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 20, 2001 - 11:44 AM

You know, I was wondering the same thing!!! I have the 99 yz400 with the excel rims and I put flat spots on both front and rear rims. I run 14psi front and rear. I did it out at the desert coming up short on a double. I'm also not too impressed with the excel rims if they are the same as the aftermarket ones at the shop.

When in doubt, GAS IT!

• MikeOK

Posted March 20, 2001 - 02:13 PM

I've had no problems yet, but I mainly ride tracks and haven't had mine on any rocky trails much yet. I was wondering the same thing but I can tell you that the excell's appear to be of better quality than the stock DID's on my YZ250...

• Shane_From_Wa

Posted March 20, 2001 - 02:52 PM

I was told by a KTM dealer that the rims that come stock on the YZ'S and WR'S are not the same quality excell rim as an boughten one... for what its worth :)

Shane From Washington / 2000WR YZ Timed/White Brothers E series exhaust (no disks) hi-Flo header/426 Jetting/Pro-Tapers/Applied Triple Clamp/Devol Rad guards and Yamaha Skid Plate/Acerbis Hand guards/One Industries Graphix and seat cover/Moose Fender bags and a bunch of other things that cost to much money!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scooter426

Posted March 21, 2001 - 05:28 AM

FWIW, I have a 2000 426 and the rear rim is has a pretty severe dent (overshot a large tabletop). The front is slightly dinged. I just paid 460us to have the rear trued, as well. I am not impressed with these rims (Excel).

• Scooter426

Posted March 21, 2001 - 05:30 AM

CORRECTION:I paid $60US to get the rear trued.

• oldxmxer

Posted March 21, 2001 - 02:19 PM

I too have bent my rear rim in the Desert.I am not impressed with the excel rims.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 21, 2001 - 02:46 PM

I always heard that the Excel rims were the cats ass! Maybe not ? I have them on my WR426. :)

• spodeboy

Posted March 21, 2001 - 10:44 PM

I came off of kawi's and they're rims SUCKED. As like yours, both my front and rears are bent. I had to put my rear one in a vice so the tube wouldn't get exposed after casing it pretty bad. Posted Image
Posted Image

In a race, lead or get out of the way. In life, go in the opposite direction of the masses.

[This message has been edited by spodeboy (edited 03-22-2001).]

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.