How to reshim your valves without removing your cams

5 replies to this topic
  • tribalbc

Posted December 23, 2010 - 05:18 PM

Well sort of :busted:
You don't have to remove your cams from your camchain and retime anyways :excuseme:

So camchain tensioner removed
Remove cam cap with shims to change
Now take your cam and lift it from the end oposite the sprocket to move it to the outside.Now rotate your cam in the chain without changing links towards the other cam. Same technique you use to remove the cams, just skip the removing part.
You now have the room you need to change the shims without removing the cam from the chain and losing timing.
Just do it one cam at a time.

I figured out this technique today having to do multiple shuffles of shims getting my clearances right on my head with newly cut seats and new valves.
Works a charm :busted:

• William1

Posted December 23, 2010 - 06:10 PM

I bench fit/shim the cams then install the head. Chain does not have to be on to shim the valves.

No matter the method, you must re-check the cam timing after the tensioner is re-engaged. Slips happen.

• tribalbc

Posted December 23, 2010 - 06:28 PM

I bench fit/shim the cams then install the head. Chain does not have to be on to shim the valves.

No matter the method, you must re-check the cam timing after the tensioner is re-engaged. Slips happen.

I bench shimmed but made the mistake of not torquing my cam caps to value, just seated the bolts.
So a couple needed changing, then a brain fart changing in the wrong direction....
For sure you still need to check the timing, but even if you end up out a tooth or two, it's much easier to adjust than starting from scratch.
Just a time saving tip for those in the know.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted December 24, 2010 - 07:25 AM

Makes sense

Watch those C clips - Be sure to ALWAYS stuff a rag in the cam tunnel and be prepared to catch the clips with a magnet.

Merry Christmas

• MANIAC998

Posted December 26, 2010 - 06:44 AM

You can also zip-tie the chain directly to the cam, and the timing won't change then. When finished, I still double check everything! I don't like my motor's to go "Boom"!!! Maniac

• William1

Posted December 26, 2010 - 09:49 AM

You can also zip-tie the chain directly to the cam, and the timing won't change then. When finished, I still double check everything! I don't like my motor's to go "Boom"!!! Maniac

Not a bad idea though I'd still be nervous if it jumped a tooth on the crank.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.