426 start up

2 replies to this topic
  • rts9821

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:57 PM

help! im new to 4 strokes, and will be going to check out a 426 <-- that 426 tomorrow. something he said concerns me, it will be about 45 degrees tomorrow. when i asked if he would wait to start the bike up till i got there, his response was "haha,sure but you're going to spend some time kicking it (bc its cold out)" is this normal for these bikes?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt77

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:31 AM

Depends on the condition of the bike. Mine has been modified with an autodecompression cam, but it shouldn't matter, the mod just makes the compresson strokes easier when starting the bike.

The temp outside shouldn't matter.

Give the throttle a couple of quick blips, pull out the choke, give the kick start a couple of pumps until you feel t come to rest at what should be close to TDC and give it a good kick. It should fire right up.

I would recommed having the person selling the bike fire it up the first time while you watch. Then turn off the bike and do it yourself.

426's have a reputation for being hard to start, but it is all in the procedure used to fire it up.

Good luck. I love mine.

• pembell

Posted December 23, 2010 - 09:59 AM

Under common threads above:

"How to Start a YZ426 (Video with Doug Dubach- Special Thanks to Yamaha Motors, and all the Good People at Dubach Racing Development)
(Requires QuickTime, or a player that will handle QT videos)
Part 1: (Cold Start) http://www.yamaha-mo....roke_vid_a.mpg

Part 2: (Hot Start) http://www.yamaha-mo....roke_vid_b.mpg"

Once you get to know the bike, it's not an issue.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.