Possible new to me 450

4 replies to this topic
  • forgiven

Posted December 22, 2010 - 02:36 PM

I currently ride an 01 Gasgas 300 and it is not bad. It does sign early and suspension is dated. From best I can tell the 450 is going to be a smidge lighter and cheaper to work on even considering it is a 4 stroke.

My basic question is how hard is this thing going to be to start when I dump it while riding in the woods? The GasGas for all its flaws does start fairly reliably.

Beyond that I think the 450 will make a great woods bike. My plan is to cut the bars down, put bark busters on, FWW...as big as I can get. I MAY get a lexx silencer but that is not for certain. I will get a kickstand though.

• YamaLink

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:05 PM

Once you get the routine down it's pretty easy. First or second kick. Usually second.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • forgiven

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hot start? What is your routine? How much harder than the 250 is it to kick?

• Mr. Neutron

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:58 PM

Typically, I'll lock my rear brake up slowing for a corner on an mx track when I kill my bike. I usually just get by with kicking the thing like I would my daughter's CRF100, only with a little more authority, and it does help to be in neutral, to avoid clutch drag.... I did get hit by another rider back in Sept. while at the mx track, which made my 450 about as hard to restart as I've ever had it be: it took about 5 kicks, plus one more kick after I remembered to use the hot start..... :excuseme: I don't really have much of a "routine" for a hot restart, other than to try to get the piston to *just past* TDC after the compression stroke, then kick with a good firm boot. If it's really warm, it needs the hot start lever......

I recall riding a friend's borrowed YZ250F once at the local mx track, and it was much harder to restart after I locked up the rear brake, killing the goofy thing...... :busted:

• forgiven

Posted December 23, 2010 - 10:47 AM

Just a little nervous since the 2 strokes have been so good to me and the GasGas has all the lugging ability in the world. Just being a 2001 parts are getting harder=more expensive. Thought if I sell now while in GREAT shape this would be the time to make the 450 move.

The 450 is ~2600 and in nice shape.

I really want an E start KTM 300...but they are just crazy expensive.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  131 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.