Oil pump drive gear

5 replies to this topic
  • Mike Martel

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:25 PM

06 YZ450F Oil Pump Drive Gear has a bunch of slop in it. The cogs on the gear look fine and the bike is pumping oil.
is that by design?

• Mike Martel

Posted January 03, 2011 - 11:49 AM

was this question to stupid or to complicated for anyone to answer?

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2011 - 12:44 PM

Oooh! An attitude...

"A bunch of slop" is not a particularly specific description of things for one. Is the play rotational? End play? shaft clearance in the pump housing? What?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike Martel

Posted January 04, 2011 - 02:00 PM

grayracer,
sorry didn't mean to come across as having a bad attitude. I kind of figured it was a stupid question or i didn't word it right.
The bigger gear that drives the oil pump in the engine will move in and out and just feels loose. The manual does not show a bearing or anything on the shaft of this gear. I really don't understand how it works. do you have a link I can go to to read up on the oil pump drive gear? I noticed this when i was replacing my waterpump seals using your post. (bike quit leaking from the wheep hole but still low on fluid after 30 minute ride. but that is another subject)
sorry for the attitude, people usually answer back so fast on hear it threw me when i didn't get any reply for a couple of days.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2011 - 02:31 PM

As hard to believe as it may be, I was doing something more important than ThumperTalk that whole week. :excuseme: Sorry...

So it sounds as if you're concern is with the oil pump idler gear. The oil pump is driven by the gear on the back of the clutch basket/primary driven gear assembly; the same gear used for starting the engine. That gear drives the idler gear, which drives the oil pump. The idler sits on a shaft in the right crankcase, and has a thrust washer on top only (sits directly on the case on the inboard side), followed by a snap ring retainer. It has no bearing, and it's normal for it to seem "a little loose", both in terms of the fit on the shaft, and in terms of end play. There's no spec given for it, and you'll either have to inspect for signs of visible wear, or have someone look at it if you're worried.

• Mike Martel

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:11 PM

Thankyou sir, I think it is ok doesn't look worn at all. I rode the crap out of this bike for 4 years and the internals look bran new. I replace the top end about 2 years ago and had to reshim it one time after that because it wouldn't start. besides that this bike has worked great and I am very happy with it. first 4 stroke original owner, Yamaha for life!

Thanks for responding

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.