85-88 cr250 questions

15 replies to this topic
  • ulmanb

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:10 PM

thinking about embarking on a cr250 restoration project, but need some info. I want to go with a 1986 look. What year plastics & frames are interchangeable with the 1986. My main concern is that I want to stick with the orange/red plastics. What year did this color start and what year did it end. Will frames from later years interchange? I see in some pics that a 1987 is when the started rear disk brakes, so maybe that is the year I should be looking for at least framewise. I have located a rolling chassis for a 1988 really cheap and need to know if the 86 plastics will bolt up readily.

My restoration project is not going for a true OEM. This is a project for my own gratification, so i dont mind taking the better qualities of several years and intermingling. My main goal is for the orangish-red with blue trim of the 1986.

Edited by ulmanb, December 21, 2010 - 07:11 PM.

• SIERRA 13

Posted December 21, 2010 - 08:53 PM

There are differences between each year, obviously. I don't know what plastics are interchangeable. The 85 and 86 are the closest, in my observations. The 87 subframe, shock, swingarm, etc (rear disc) are different from the 86 so I don't know if the numberplate mounts would align.

I thought that Honda went away from the flash red (orange) in 88.

• bigpaul

Posted December 21, 2010 - 09:15 PM

thinking about embarking on a cr250 restoration project, but need some info. I want to go with a 1986 look. What year plastics & frames are interchangeable with the 1986. My main concern is that I want to stick with the orange/red plastics. What year did this color start and what year did it end.
-The Honda Orange was called Flash Red. It was used from 1983 to 1987 on the CR line. The 1988 Red is called Fighting Red. I believe you can just order Maier Orange Plastic and bolt it up.

Will frames from later years interchange? I see in some pics that a 1987 is when the started rear disk brakes, so maybe that is the year I should be looking for at least framewise. I have located a rolling chassis for a 1988 really cheap and need to know if the 86 plastics will bolt up readily.

-The 1986 plastic will not bolt up to a 1988 frame and gas tank. I own both bikes.

My restoration project is not going for a true OEM. This is a project for my own gratification, so i dont mind taking the better qualities of several years and intermingling. My main goal is for the orangish-red with blue trim of the 1986.

-Why not just a 1986 CR250 and go for it?

From what I can see the 1988 subframe will not fit the 1986 frame, I have never tried to unbolt the subframe and try it on.

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want the 1988 engine in the 1986 frame? Are you trying to get a 1988 with the flash red plastic?
You can just order the plastic.

The 1985/86 are going to be the most interchangeable. 1987 Honda changed quite a bit.

• ulmanb

Posted December 22, 2010 - 04:20 AM

I am looking at fabricating my own "franken-bike". Have a low hour 2002 cr250 engine on my bench with all wiring included. I realize I will have to fab a mount for my electronic powervalve.

I did a little research on bikepics.com and oem schematics after starting this thread.

85 & 86 chassis/body appears to be the same

87 body appears very similiar to 85 & 86 with the addition of rear disc brakes.

88 & 89 have different body, prob same frame as 87, but also has a one piece rear shock body/reservoir.

89 has inverted forks.

Now what I am thinking is 88 or 89 rolling chassis with 85 & 86 plastics. This will give me the look I want, disk brakes front and rear, & one piece shock body/reservoir. The forks dont matter much as I intend to find inverted forks and triples off a current model and adapt them to fit. To get the gold rims, I would likely use the 87 to 89 hubs and relace with gold rims.

• bigpaul

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:50 AM

The 1989 front forks were not very good. Other wise the 88/89 are virtually identical.

85/86 are virtually identical. I am not sure about the 1987. I do not own one. But I believe that the frame is very close to the 85/86 frame. Check the part numbers for the plastic. I believe the 87 is different.

For a frankenbike, I would probably just get a 1985/86 roller frame and put your motor in.

The 88/89 plastic won't fit an 87.

If you want rear disc brake find a 87 roller frame.

What you can't do is put 85/86/87 flash red (orange) plastic on a 88 frame. It won't fit. You only hope for the flash red on the 88 frame would be if Maier makes the plastic for that bike in orange. I have also used UFO plastic.
Do note that the 88/89 radiator shrouds are different than the 85/86/87 radiator shrouds.

Hope this helps.

• ulmanb

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:50 AM

The 1989 front forks were not very good. Other wise the 88/89 are virtually identical.

85/86 are virtually identical. I am not sure about the 1987. I do not own one. But I believe that the frame is very close to the 85/86 frame. Check the part numbers for the plastic. I believe the 87 is different.

For a frankenbike, I would probably just get a 1985/86 roller frame and put your motor in.

The 88/89 plastic won't fit an 87.

If you want rear disc brake find a 87 roller frame.

What you can't do is put 85/86/87 flash red (orange) plastic on a 88 frame. It won't fit. You only hope for the flash red on the 88 frame would be if Maier makes the plastic for that bike in orange. I have also used UFO plastic.
Do note that the 88/89 radiator shrouds are different than the 85/86/87 radiator shrouds.

Hope this helps.

This is good information. I did look into the OEM parts finder, I dont think its too accurate though, when you look up 85-89, the description says they all use the same frame, I know the 85 & 86 are different for sure because they dont have the bracket on the frame for the hydraulic rear disc brake.

Looks like I need to spend some quality time cross referencing part numbers and such.

• ulmanb

Posted December 22, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Is it just the radiator shrouds that do not bolt up due to the different gas tank on the 88+. It appears that the 87-89 use the same sidepanels, but based on pictures it looks like the bolt holes are approx same location as the 85/86.

With the UFO replacement plastics, are they orange or red?

Edited by ulmanb, December 22, 2010 - 08:01 AM.

• bigpaul

Posted December 22, 2010 - 01:50 PM

I know you can get UFO plastic for the 88/89 in fighting red. I do not know if flash red is available.

The shrouds are different between the 88/89 and the 87/86/85, they will not bolt up.

• ulmanb

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:06 AM

After more comparisons of numbers, photos, and aftermarket plastic searches, I think if I do this I am going to go with a 88 or 89 instead.

-aftermarket plastics for 88 & 89 are still available
-I want the rear disc brakes
-the 88 & 89 have a 1 piece shock body, which may make it more easily to modify a late model shock to fit it.
-the 88 & 89 pipe is more like the late model pipes which should make the exhaust easier to route.

I am dissappointed in that I really like the orange & blue color schemes with the gold rims, but I am taking a liking to the look of the 88 white & red color scheme too.

I want the look of the older bike with qualities of the newer bikes (engine reliability & suspension).

• bigpaul

Posted December 23, 2010 - 12:12 PM

Go with the 1988, the front suspension is much much better than the 1989.

OR

Get a 1989 and bolt a 1988 front end on it.

Plenty of parting out 1988 CR250 out on ebay

• SIERRA 13

Posted December 23, 2010 - 12:35 PM

I want the look of the older bike with qualities of the newer bikes (engine reliability & suspension).

It sounds like you should get a Bailey Kit for a new bike!

:excuseme::thumbsup::busted:

Posted Image

• bigpaul

Posted December 23, 2010 - 01:14 PM

Now that is one sweet looking ride. I like that you painted the frame flash red.

Very trick

• SIERRA 13

Posted December 23, 2010 - 05:18 PM

I'd love to say that was my bike but it's not. I do have this kit on my CRF450 though.

• JJRace

Posted December 25, 2010 - 02:52 PM

85-87 is the same color.

88 is more of a red red then an orange red. also 88 got the red fork boots and seat and the last year of the conventional forks.

• EFengee

Posted July 01, 2011 - 01:43 PM

In regards to the 1985 motor, how should the seals be seated?

My Clymer does not specify the way the seal should be installed, for any of them. Most of the old seals were installed with the flush/flat side of the seal facing out, when the split in the cases is regarded as the center, except the crank seals. The crank seals were installed flush/flat side inboard.

Suggestions?

• YHGEORGE

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:20 AM

85 and 86 are VERY different in many areas/details. The most important being the engine. And the 86 forks are by far the best stock ever made for mx or woods. Just spring to weight and rip. The 87/88 forks got valving that was harsh. If you try the 86 forks you will not want any upside downs. Any. Period. A pro might want upside down forks for supercross but I really don't think that is you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

bike for female rider? by rhii108

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

My first bike... 01 Cr80 by dylancr80

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Won't Start! Need Help! by Ging3rDedMan

• Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

PWK carb.....to TPS or not to TPS....that is the question by sandy450

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.