Eliminating starter and battery on 2005 wr450

3 replies to this topic
  • Hunts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 12:15 PM

I rarely use my electric start on my WR, in fact I think my button is actually broken. That small battery also doesn't hold a charge very long either. So I was considering removing the system for weight reduction. Would it be possible to run the bike like this? Any thoughts? Thanks

• c9buff

Posted December 22, 2010 - 04:23 AM

I have an 05 WR as well. After numerous problems and too much money, I took the starting components off. I did find that you need to keep the battery because the bike if very difficult to kick start without it. Next summer I will put a smaller battery with less weight in it. I am still unsure how small I can go on the amps to maintain starting ability but will continue to research.

buff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TracksNTrails

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:09 AM

I took the starter gear off my 03 WR 6 years ago, but I removed the battery, too. NOW I find out I've been kicking harder than I had to for 6 years...........

Actually it kick started really easily, so I didn't notice the difference, but I think as the bike has aged, the kick-starting has gotten harder and harder. (maybe it's MY age instead, because I was in much better shape then.)

• jayh300

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:23 AM

I have an 05 WR as well. After numerous problems and too much money, I took the starting components off. I did find that you need to keep the battery because the bike if very difficult to kick start without it. Next summer I will put a smaller battery with less weight in it. I am still unsure how small I can go on the amps to maintain starting ability but will continue to research.

buff

did the exact same thing on my 06 when the starter motor quit.. pulled the starter, plugged the hole with a auto rubber expanding plug.. pulled battery.. and rode.. the digital display went nuts without the battery and was hard to start also.. the day the starter quit, i rode it all day with the battry in and it started first kick, everytime..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.