WR450 All White Plastics

52 replies to this topic
  • Rellik

Posted December 21, 2010 - 06:34 AM

Ok, I've spent a season learning the basics, and falling on my face a few times, but hey, I only received ONE concussion, so that's a plus right? :busted: But, the bad thing about this is that the plastics have taken a moderate beating. Scratches, that nasty white line that happens when the plastic gets bent, stuff of that nature.

Anyway, I see these nice looking brand new 2010's, completely white and black. So what do I do, I go hunting for kits for my 06 WR450 to no avail. :excuseme:

Does anyone have their WR450 in the white and black scheme? If so, where did you get the plastics? Did you just get YZ plastics and modify them to make it work?

Any advice would be great.

Additionally,
Do any of these aftermarket desert tank makers make large capacity tanks in WHITE instead of the natural (non matching) color?

If not, are there any options to cover the tank, say, with an automotive grade vacuum formed 5 mil plastic? I know it'll get scratched, but I hate the natural ugly color of my desert tank.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:25 AM

Yes they all make white tanks,but white would be my last pick.On our 20+ plus bikes the white ones look beat up the most.If you dont fall,than they do look good.

• Yamiryder

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:34 AM

i would think that the shrouds and front fender off of a yz would work. if you don't want a tail light you could get a back fender too.
Have you checked places like motosport.com or rockymountainmc.com ? that's where i get a lot of my stuff from.

• Rellik

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:37 AM

Yes they all make white tanks,but white would be my last pick.On our 20+ plus bikes the white ones look beat up the most.If you dont fall,than they do look good.

If I don't fall? THE first lesson I learned is that EVERYONE falls, regardless of skill level.

So white looks horrible when it gets scratched? Well, that sucks. I'm no where near good (or ignorant) enough to claim that I won't fall on it :busted: . But on that same accord, doesn't any color look like crap when it's scratched, scuffed or bent? :excuseme:

i would think that the shrouds and front fender off of a yz would work. if you don't want a tail light you could get a back fender too.
Have you checked places like motosport.com or rockymountainmc.com ? that's where i get a lot of my stuff from.

Acerbis doesn't make a white rear fender that I can find that is specific for the WR according to their master catalog, and I would rather keep the rear tail light since I tend to go riding till after dusk and the lights are a safety factor.

Edited by Rellik, December 21, 2010 - 07:57 AM.
To avoid double posting

• Dube2

Posted December 21, 2010 - 08:42 AM

If I don't fall? THE first lesson I learned is that EVERYONE falls, regardless of skill level.

So white looks horrible when it gets scratched? Well, that sucks. I'm no where near good (or ignorant) enough to claim that I won't fall on it :busted: . But on that same accord, doesn't any color look like crap when it's scratched, scuffed or bent? :excuseme:

Acerbis doesn't make a white rear fender that I can find that is specific for the WR according to their master catalog, and I would rather keep the rear tail light since I tend to go riding till after dusk and the lights are a safety factor.

just get a white YZ fender and bolt the tail light through the new fender. it works pretty well. Just get three nice looking flush mounted bolts and wa-la!

• KennyMc

Posted December 21, 2010 - 08:51 AM

I haven't talked to them to confirm but these guys list a white rear fender w/light as well as a front fender in white.

http://www.ufoplasti...r w/ Tail Light

• 2in2out

Posted December 21, 2010 - 09:51 AM

The real problem you'll have is finding headlight/front number plate in white without having to buy a whole new light assembly from UFO, Acerbis, or others. I looked into this also, and found no joy in any of these headlight assemblies.

• RR@ARS

Posted December 21, 2010 - 10:46 AM

Baja Designs front headlight (came with dualsport kit) YZ shrouds to fit IMS 3.1 tank. Not sure who makes the rear fender but it is a WR fender so the rear tailight will bolt right up to it. Factory effex YZF graphics to fit YZF shrouds. Not sure about black plastics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• SXP

Posted December 21, 2010 - 01:48 PM

Baja Designs front headlight (came with dualsport kit) YZ shrouds to fit IMS 3.1 tank. Not sure who makes the rear fender but it is a WR fender so the rear tailight will bolt right up to it. Factory effex YZF graphics to fit YZF shrouds. Not sure about black plastics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You could finish that off with an OEM white/light grey YZ seat cover :excuseme:

Is your bike lowered?

• BajaFool

Posted December 21, 2010 - 02:45 PM

Buy the stock blue Yamaha headlight frame and paint it with appliance white epoxy paint. This is what I did for my 2008 WR. Use a primer made for plastic before painting with the appliance white epoxy. The headlight frame is less than $15 at your friendly Yamaha dealer.

My 2008 WR450F has all white plastic from Acerbis, except the headlight frame, and a white 3.2 gal tank from Clarke. The shrouds and fenders were a replacement kit. I also bought a white WR rear fender from Acerbis to replace the YZ style fender that came in the kit.

I just looked at the 2011 Acerbis catalog, and I could not find much of anything for a 2006 in white. You could call Acerbis USA and ask for their assistance, they probably get calls on this subject every week. When you finally give up trying to find a telephone number on their website, try 208-622-1005.

Finally, check with Polisport for white plastic for your year WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted December 21, 2010 - 03:11 PM

Buy the stock blue Yamaha headlight frame and paint it with appliance white epoxy paint. This is what I did for my 2008 WR. Use a primer made for plastic before painting with the appliance white epoxy. The headlight frame is less than $15 at your friendly Yamaha dealer.

My 2008 WR450F has all white plastic from Acerbis, except the headlight frame, and a white 3.2 gal tank from Clarke. The shrouds and fenders were a replacement kit. I also bought a white WR rear fender from Acerbis to replace the YZ style fender that came in the kit.

I just looked at the 2011 Acerbis catalog, and I could not find much of anything for a 2006 in white. You could call Acerbis USA and ask for their assistance, they probably get calls on this subject every week. When you finally give up trying to find a telephone number on their website, try 208-622-1005.

Finally, check with Polisport for white plastic for your year WR.

Could you post a couple of pics of your bike. Thanks.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted December 21, 2010 - 03:36 PM

Ok your answer we have orange-blue-black-red-white bikes.Yes the white ones look like crap way more than the others.It seems like the black ones hold up the best.Yes the white bikes do look the best,But not if you ride where I do.Or crash like me.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 21, 2010 - 04:05 PM

Krylon "Fusion" made for plastic, no primer required works like a champ, tree tested:thumbsup:

Posted Image

• BajaFool

Posted December 21, 2010 - 11:09 PM

SXP,
Inserting photos in my replies exceeds my level of knowledge. Any help would be appreciated.

• MANIAC998

Posted December 22, 2010 - 04:29 AM

Very nice thread! All kinds of ideas creeping into my head! You guys are gonna cost me alot of money!!! Maniac

• RR@ARS

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:53 AM

You could finish that off with an OEM white/light grey YZ seat cover :excuseme:

Is your bike lowered?

I actually have a YZ seat with grey cover that I will put on when its time to change graphics.

No, the bike is not lowered but the shock was blown in that picture.

• BajaFool

Posted December 22, 2010 - 01:31 PM

SXP,
Its raining here in "sunny San Diego", so it is a good time to learn how to insert photos in my replies. Please note that the scuff marks on the plastic are there because the bike is ridden. :excuseme:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• BajaFool

Posted December 22, 2010 - 01:39 PM

SXP,
I have to correct my earlier statement about my white Clarke tank, it is obviously black, with white radiator shrouds. Although the black tank does have some drawbacks (hard to see the fuel level), it always looks nice and appears at first glance to be the stock tank.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:18 PM

Great looking bike,I wish mine looked like that.

• SXP

Posted December 22, 2010 - 09:46 PM

SXP,
I have to correct my earlier statement about my white Clarke tank, it is obviously black, with white radiator shrouds. Although the black tank does have some drawbacks (hard to see the fuel level), it always looks nice and appears at first glance to be the stock tank.

Nice! Thanks:thumbsup:

All of you with the white plastic - good looking bikes. You've got me thinking....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.