SPEED OUT OF CORNERS???

10 replies to this topic
  • BRENTyz426

Posted March 19, 2001 - 08:52 PM

I need some instruction on what to do when I go into a berm! I am getting no speed coming out and I'm thinking it might have something to do with my rear sprocket! I was told to go with two more teeth than stock and it would get me the low end in 3rd gear coming out of a berm! It seems like 2nd is too low and I slide all around coming out of corners! What do you guys suggest??? I have no mods yet! I'm tired of sticking large doubles, and am not even ready to stick the 90' tripple at comp park! :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 20, 2001 - 11:36 AM

When I ride comp park I run a 14/50 sprocket setup. I don't have any problem clearing any of the doubles out of the corners. I haven't hit the triple just cause I'm still too nervous to go for it. I do clear everything else on the track though with out a problem. I go into the corner high up on the tank and then I naturally slide back on the bike as I'm going through the corner and come out further back on the bike which makes the rear dig in and power out of the corner. I have no clue if this is the correct way to do it but it works for me and it's how I naturally do it.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• Scott_F

Posted March 20, 2001 - 05:16 PM

I ride at Comp too, and I can't think of any corners there that would require third gear. Try second gear for most of the track, and use third only on the biggest jumps and fastest straights.

A 50T rear is the hot setup.

• BRENTyz426

Posted March 20, 2001 - 07:30 PM

WHAT SPROCKETS ARE YOU GUYS USING? I'M THINKING OF BUYING RENTHAL FRONT AND REAR SPROCKETS! ALSO, WHEN DO YOU GUYS USUALLY HIT COMP PARK?

• G-Man

Posted March 20, 2001 - 07:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott F:
[B]I ride at Comp too..

Scott you coming out for AZOTMX International event at Canyon Raceway AZ in April?

G

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom_N

Posted March 21, 2001 - 05:44 AM

[It seems like 2nd is too low and I slide all around coming out of corners! What do you guys suggest??? I have no mods yet!

I know what you mean, I have had the same problem on mine, third was to tall and when in second I would fish tail the back end all over the place and loose position. It was cool for roosting my bud but for speed it was no fun. I had a 51 on the rear and I am going back to stock to see what happens. I may end up splitting the difference and going with a 50. Part of my prob could be that I only weigh 175 lbs and the bike works me pretty good, I don' have much mass in the A.. to put over the back wheel..

• yzernie

Posted March 21, 2001 - 06:51 AM

Part of my prob could be that I only weigh 175 lbs and the bike works me pretty good, I don' have much mass in the A.. to put over the back wheel..[/B][/QUOTE]

Tom N,

You are sick!!! I haven't weighed 175 lbs since I was in high school!! Maybe that is why I get good starts...scooting my a.. over the back wheel forces it into the ground and dig for traction!!!!

yzernie

• Tom_N

Posted March 21, 2001 - 07:50 AM

So thats why my starts suck... it's also hard for me to do wheelies... good thing my yz has lots of power :)

I will have to start eating my wheaties

• Scott_F

Posted March 21, 2001 - 07:08 PM

G-Man, I don't plan to right now, unless somebody like yzernie drags me out there. :)

Scott you coming out for AZOTMX International event at Canyon Raceway AZ in April?[/B]

• PK

Posted March 22, 2001 - 10:09 PM

Weight your outside footpeg and roll on the throttle. If your in second, the bike is gonna break loose. Weighting the outside peg helps keep the rear end hooked up going through the corner and prudence with the throttle will help you control the bike better so your rear end doesn't go all over the place when exiting. Sometimes you have do things a little slower to gain speed, cornering is one of them. Keep your sack up on the tank and make sure your elbows are up, that will help keep you honest.

Pat

• cthomas

Posted March 22, 2001 - 11:11 AM

Maybe you should look at your suspension too. If your rebound on the rear is too slow, the rear end will pack down in corners and tend to not hook up well exiting corners. It is kinda in a four strokes nature to dig in and hook up in all sorts of conditions and if yours isn't, I would look to tires or suspension tuning more than gearing.

Chris

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.