Jumping the WR250F

15 replies to this topic
  • xcountryfreak

Posted December 20, 2010 - 11:50 AM

I got my 08 WR back in May. I'm getting back into riding after laying off 25yrs to raise kids. I'm finding it difficult to get enough air to clear doubles. I can go flat out off a jump and don't fly near as far as other bikes that seem to be just cruising. Not sure if its my riding, the weight of the bike, the 18" rear wheel or all of the above but it's frustrating. Thought revalving the suspension would help but not much difference. Are other WR riders having the same experience? The motor is stock, YZ exhaust, all free mods. Removed all lights and speedo. Tried seat bouncing and other techniques but the bike just seems to be held to the ground by stronger gravitational forces than other bikes like YZs and two strokes. I realize that lighter bikes will get more air, but is the WR just so heavy that it can't be jumped effectively?

• Dano426

Posted December 20, 2010 - 01:01 PM

Yes your bike weights more and you probably weigh more than the bikes/guys that are just cruising over the jumps so that makes it even hard to jump.

Its 90% rider 10% bike.

The quick calculation puts you around 45 years old. (20+25=45)

The hard fact is that we are getting older and just don't fly like we use to. My 250F does not fly like it did even four years ago. I am now 39

My YZ250F looks and runs great when my son is running it around the track.:excuseme:

• ronbuell

Posted December 20, 2010 - 07:24 PM

Get a YZ250F.

• BazookaJoe

Posted December 21, 2010 - 03:48 AM

I assume that you are referring to the dreaded blowing thru the travel, especially in the forks, which is pretty much what you get with a stock (or near stock) WR on a mototrack. The WR rear is not so bad on a mototrack, although it is sort of sickly, too. Remember, the WR is calibrated for moderate trail work. Hammering a WR thru rough trail will have it bucking pretty badly.

What is happening on your jumping adventures, is that the suspension is soaking up more of the impact rather than resisting the suspension compression and helping you launch off the jump. It's a function of rider + bike weight, springs, dampening calibration, etc. Riding technique is in there to a small degree, but nowhere near the blank statement 10% bike 90% rider. As I have gotten older, the ratio of bike to rider is more like 65% bike and 35% me, IMO. If my bike sucks, so do I, and in a great big way. Put me on a good bike, and I can twist it up really good.

So anyway, the WR is not too heavy to jump nor does the 18" wheel make things that much different. You need springs to match your weight and the forks need to go back to the tuner. The WR is not the best choice for moto, but it can be done. A YZF does make things much easier on a moto track, which is why I own both a YZF and a WRF.

How far are you trying to jump? How much do you weigh? Was the revalving aimed at trail riding and/or how extensive was the revalving?

• oldnbold

Posted December 22, 2010 - 07:45 AM

I've moto'd the wr before and I agree with the jumping issue. It's mostly a weight problem but also a little to do with the rebound settings. Try turning you rebound out (faster) in both front and rear, but not so much that it destroys handling.

What you're trying to do is add the energy stored in the springs to the launch. don't laugh guys, it's noticeable. I've found that if I turn mine in several clicks, I stay much lower. The rebound stack on a wr is different than a yzf. Try this, you can easily go back if you don't like how it handles.

• TEAM-STUBBS

Posted December 23, 2010 - 02:02 PM

+1 ON THE YZ250F
47 and more than I can handle

• ronbuell

Posted December 24, 2010 - 09:16 AM

I like the lighter weight of the YZ250F and the controlable power. It's one of the easiest bikes to jump I've ever owned.

• xcountryfreak

Posted December 24, 2010 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer your questions, my weight is 183lbs. I got the Smart Performance WR kit and Dave helped me get it set up right. I'm still running stock springs which may be part of the problem as he says I need to go to a 5.6 on the rear and maybe stiffer up front. Its valved for trails and MX as much as that can be accomplished. It's a little stiff fir trails now. I'm just trying to clear 25-30' table tops. Oh, and I wish I was 45 but I've got 10 years added to that number. But what does age really have to do with jumping?? I can still hold the throttle WFO like a 19 year old.

I'm seriously thinking of selling the WR and getting a YZ250 2-stroke.

• ronbuell

Posted December 24, 2010 - 07:21 PM

The 2T YZ250 is a vastly different bike. Friend of mine has one. About the same size as F but has about 42 HP. You really have to control the throttle on that bike, very light flywheel so it does stuff lightening quick. Try one out if you can before committing. Just my $.02.

• lucastheboss

Posted December 25, 2010 - 04:16 PM

ive got doubles down on my 07 wr250f but i only weight 150 but yeah its just the weight of the bike

• BazookaJoe

Posted December 26, 2010 - 10:15 AM

XcountryFreak-

Just wondering- Did the SP fork kit help very much?

As to the YZ250 smoker.... That might get you more of a boost than you are looking for. Perhaps, you want to think about a YZ250F instead? There is quite a bit of difference between a WR250F and a YZ250- changing the exhaust cam does NOT turn a WR into a YZF.

• ronbuell

Posted December 26, 2010 - 11:17 AM

Remember that the MX bike has straight rate springs while the WR has progressive wound springs, so that helps a little with jumping too. The rest is weight and technique. I noticed that as I've put weight on, my technique has changed a little. You might check around with a local suspension guy and see if he has some stock "YZ springs you and try out.

• BazookaJoe

Posted December 27, 2010 - 06:46 PM

Of the two model year WR which I am familar, 05 & 07, neither had progressive springs.

I know this though- both year models have gushy soft forks. Stiffening up the dampening helped, but they stiff are no moto champs.

Of interest, I have softened the suspension on my YZFs to be more woods orientated, and every time, the jumping prowess takes a dive. It's sort of the way it happens.

• xcountryfreak

Posted December 28, 2010 - 03:49 PM

Bazooka Joe - Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the SP kit. It made a big difference but I also removed a lowering kit, shorter springs and re-valve from the previous owner so its difficult to judge how much difference the SP kit made.

So do you race your YZ MX and the WR hare scrambles or the YZ for both? I'm racing my WR in hare scrambles and doing ok but my class, > 50, is open and some of the courses have long smooth sections where the 300's and 450's eat my lunch. Not to mention the starts. I'd like to race MX and hare scrambles with the same bike and the 2 stroke seems like a good match. The lower maintenance cost is a big plus too. I'm thinking get a used YZ, spend some bucks on the suspension and a flywheel weight and go racing. I raced a 1980 YZ250 back in the day so I'm aware of the two stroke powerband.

• xcountryfreak

Posted December 28, 2010 - 03:56 PM

Bazooka Joe - Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the SP kit. It made a big difference but I also removed a lowering kit, shorter springs and re-valve from the previous owner so its difficult to judge how much difference the SP kit made.

So do you race your YZ MX and the WR hare scrambles or the YZ for both? I'm racing my WR in hare scrambles and doing ok but my class, > 50, is open and some of the courses have long smooth sections where the 300's and 450's eat my lunch. Not to mention the starts. I'd like to race MX and hare scrambles with the same bike and the 2 stroke seems like a good match. The lower maintenance cost is a big plus too. I'm thinking get a used YZ, spend some bucks on the suspension and a flywheel weight and go racing. I raced a 1980 YZ250 back in the day so I'm aware of the two stroke powerband.

• BazookaJoe

Posted December 28, 2010 - 05:51 PM

XC Freak,

The YZFs have always been my race bike of choice for enduros and hare scrambles- those bikes work very well in the woods. I moto-ride for fun. The WR is the bike I use when I'm working on the public trail and then want to trail ride afterwards, or buzz down the road to a buddy's play moto track. WR's are nice bikes to be sure, but IMO on race day, the e-button does not trump the added weight.

I've raced the Senior A in past years and this year it will be Super Senior A. I don't feel the YZ250F is at all handicapped when considering the race day overall. True, if there is a horsepower hill, yeah then the YZF is down a bit compared to bigger bikes. But, as the day wears on or in those technical areas, the YZF's easy handling and friendly power is a HUGE advantage in my books and you will make back any time lost plus much more. And, remember that the YZ250F doesn't really give much away to a 250EXC and you know how common those bikes can be.

A newer YZ250 is a great bike, but they demand more attention and they are more work to keep singing all day. The big difference is how much more demanding the two strokes can be to slow down. This sounds weird to say it, but that is how it goes- the smoker wants to keep on "zing-zing-zing" rather than quickly settle down for the corner.

I wouldn't get too excited about the maintenance costs of either bike- if things go badly, both can smash your wallet. If things go well, they both can be cheap to run.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.