2010 yz450f for cold weather riding

13 replies to this topic
  • schenker

Posted December 19, 2010 - 02:21 PM

hey,
im looking to buy a new 2010 yz450f, and plan to stud the tires and ride through the winter. it gets cold here since i live in edmonton ab, (-20' c) just wondering if it rides good in the winter like my 2008 did or if there will be a bunch of problems with the new motor/ fuel injection riding in the cold and snow....

thanks

• brentn

Posted December 19, 2010 - 05:19 PM

I did not have any problems, I've been out in -15. People are saying that you should tape up half of a radiator for proper combustion temp and so that the bike doesn't over-cool the engine. I have not found any issues however...
I was ripping it up and down a couple of fire roads that were hard snow packed with my gold screws and 10psi in the tires.

• tech24

Posted December 20, 2010 - 05:11 AM

On faster riding my bike is running very rich and backfiring once in a while due to nlack of proper coolant temp. However it runs great and my only concern is oil contamination from excess fuel. For a fuel injection to operate to its full potential it really needs a thermostat to keep coolant temp up. A simple solution is to tape off radiators. I just recieved a 4 stroke bypass thermostat in the mail and will do a write up on it once I get it installed.

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 20, 2010 - 07:52 AM

I'm not sure but last time I went riding it was fairly cold, bike just felt like it had less power than my previous times riding it, whereas before i was loving the power, this last ride left me wanting a whole lot more. Dunno if it was running rich or not, but it just didn't seem right. still got up and moved, but didn't wow me, although I might just be used to the bike by now.

• HRC

Posted December 20, 2010 - 10:30 AM

I´ve been riding in -15 with my -11 450 , no problems.

Bike was hard to start when it was just barely broken in, but has become better with some hours on it now.

I have taped one of the radiators.

Just keep an eye on the engine temp and it shouldn´t be any problems. :excuseme:

Posted Image
Posted Image

• brentn

Posted December 20, 2010 - 11:36 AM

How did you tape off one of the rads?
Have you had any overheating in any weather warmer than -15, such as -5 or 0 with a rad taped off?

• HRC

Posted December 20, 2010 - 12:31 PM

How did you tape off one of the rads?
Have you had any overheating in any weather warmer than -15, such as -5 or 0 with a rad taped off?

Actually I don´t tape it. I put a piece of thick paper between the radiator and radiator guard. The size of the paper piece is cirka 1/3 of the radiator.

It has worked fine but I remove the paper piece when temperature goes up to -5. ( I you ride in high speed track you should probably let it sit)

Ivé never experienced engine overheating....ever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted December 20, 2010 - 12:39 PM

Just to clarify the riding I have problems with is wide open trails with a low rpm steady speed and a lot of up hill and down hill decel so not much time for heat to build and plenty of air flow for lots of cooling. The faster I go the worse it gets. Tight woods or track is probably no big deal.

• brentn

Posted December 20, 2010 - 01:19 PM

Actually I don´t tape it. I put a piece of thick paper between the radiator and radiator guard. The size of the paper piece is cirka 1/3 of the radiator.

It has worked fine but I remove the paper piece when temperature goes up to -5. ( I you ride in high speed track you should probably let it sit)

Ivé never experienced engine overheating....ever.

So one radiator, a circular piece covering about 1/3? Am I reading that right?

How do you keep warm?

I wear a thermal balaclava to keep my neck warm, but my hands are just getting frozen out there.. I know your a track rider so it's even colder for you at the speeds your going, so really interested to know your setup there.

Thanks for your time HRC!

• brentn

Posted December 20, 2010 - 01:20 PM

Just to clarify the riding I have problems with is wide open trails with a low rpm steady speed and a lot of up hill and down hill decel so not much time for heat to build and plenty of air flow for lots of cooling. The faster I go the worse it gets. Tight woods or track is probably no big deal.

That makes sense, when I was riding in about -5 I was hitting the rev limiter on a couple of fire roads and the bike seemed fine. I don't know if it's the RPM or the power commander 5 and it's leaned out map, or both..

• tech24

Posted December 20, 2010 - 02:12 PM

That makes sense, when I was riding in about -5 I was hitting the rev limiter on a couple of fire roads and the bike seemed fine. I don't know if it's the RPM or the power commander 5 and it's leaned out map, or both..

I also forgot to add I was running the woods map which has retarded timing so that may contribute to popping and ocassional backfire in combination with rich condition. In the woods I haven't noticed any problems but coolant temps are still low and I'm sure its running rich but not enough to cause any drivability problems. I still think a thermostat is the way to go but I'm a perfectionist and it will help my over active brain sleep at night :excuseme:

or ran in closed loop with the PC5 auto tune which still may benefit from a t-stat

• HRC

Posted December 20, 2010 - 02:43 PM

So one radiator, a circular piece covering about 1/3? Am I reading that right?

A rektangular piece covering about 1/3...yes.

How do you keep warm?

I have alot of clothes on and good winter jacket that isn´t to thick and breeds good. For gloves I use Ski-gloves. Also have handguards mounted on the bike....that eliminates cold wind.

• schenker

Posted December 20, 2010 - 04:37 PM

thanks all,
looks like im off to the store to buy one!!! im interested in what you have to say about the bypass thermostat, see if its worth going on ebay to buy one

• tech24

Posted December 21, 2010 - 05:04 AM

thanks all,
looks like im off to the store to buy one!!! im interested in what you have to say about the bypass thermostat, see if its worth going on ebay to buy one

I should be installing it soon, shortly after the holidays. It was expensive and very hard to find (its for shifter karts). There are a few out there for 2 strokes but I got the last one from a guy that sells them in the 4t temp range but if some are interested on here I can contact him. There are some other options that may work too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.