Brake light switch

7 replies to this topic
  • Airwolf63

Posted July 16, 2003 - 05:00 PM

The last mod in putting plates on my WR450 (Colorado is getting sooooo sticky on some of them backroads), is the hydraulic brake light switch. Installing the switch is easy enough, but there are two electrical leads. No instructions, and I'm not sure how they are connected to the system. Help!

• endurodog

Posted July 16, 2003 - 06:56 PM

On my WR400 there was a lead coming from the rear tail light for the brake light. The light in there was all ready a double filiment bulb. So one lead to that and another to one of the always hot leads under the tank. The lead from the tail light was a bullet connector near the top of the air box. I have not looked at my WR450 yet but need to get on that one too.

• endurodog

Posted July 16, 2003 - 06:56 PM

On my WR400 there was a lead coming from the rear tail light for the brake light. The light in there was all ready a double filiment bulb. So one lead to that and another to one of the always hot leads under the tank. The lead from the tail light was a bullet connector near the top of the air box. I have not looked at my WR450 yet but need to get on that one too.

• Airwolf63

Posted July 17, 2003 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. It looked obvious, but a little confidence before you go plugging things in helps. The plug from the tailight(under the seat) has 3 wires (black, blue, and yellow)on the light side. Only two on the power side(yellow doesn't seem to be used). Therefore, the yellow should be for the second filament. If I tap one end to the yellow, and another to a ignition hot source, it should work when the pedal is compressed thus closing the open circuit. The plug onder the seat is very fragile though. I didn't see the clip and broke it off when pulling. Be careful. I'll install it today and inform you if any other mods are needed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ogrebelle

Posted July 17, 2003 - 09:35 AM

Who makes this switch? Where do you get it? Price?
Doug

• IceBox

Posted July 17, 2003 - 10:47 AM

www.peakmoto.com has switches and they were easy to deal with if you don't want to talk to anybody just order on the web. Try this link.

http://www.peakmoto....l?UCIDs=1087185

• captain_S

Posted July 17, 2003 - 11:25 AM

Found you can use a plain street bike rear switch on the 426,all you need to do is take the switch apart an reverse the little brass collar on the activating rod,so the switch closes the circut when it is in the return position and not the pulled out!,a bit o`jigery-pokery,and wa-hey!,brake light,hydraulic for the front though! :)

• Airwolf63

Posted July 17, 2003 - 06:43 PM

Hey all, it worked great. Hydraulic switch for rear brake (12.95-16.95) at most shops. The 03WR450 comes with a dual filament already. 1.Extend both leads from switch. 2. Attach one to the yellow wire coming from tail light.
3. Attach second lead to positive on battery or elsewhere. 4. Step on brake pedal, voila! The brake light is the most important part of being legal with plates here in CO, cause that darn bike horn and mirror keep falling off.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.