'09 WR450 tube/tire replacement questions

10 replies to this topic
  • drick

Posted December 19, 2010 - 09:13 AM

hi,

the time has come for some new rubber on the bike, and i wanted to get some opinions here on what others suggest /run.

i'm waffling between:

michelin
m12xc - 90/90x21 F
or
s12xc - 90/90x21 F
m12 - 130/80x18 R

or

irc
ve35 - 80/100/21 F
m5b - 140/80x18 R

after doing some research here it appears that folks run both, and appear to like them for the most part, is that right?

my riding is 85% at hollister, %15 tahoe / stonyford (predominantly mud/sand & rocks). i would classify myself as a beginner to intermediate still at this point, and only ride about 1/month so tire life should not be a problem.

regardless of what the answer is on tire suggestions, can someone also please clarify what tube i should run in the rear? i want to get a UHD tube, but can't find one that will fit either of those tire sizes.

TIA for any/all suggestions of feedback
D

Edited by drick, December 19, 2010 - 09:42 AM.

• woods-rider

Posted December 19, 2010 - 09:22 AM

For tubes you just need to specify yhe rim diameter so you would need an 18" and a 21" tube. I have ran the M12s and they are decent. No experience with the other tires.

• drick

Posted December 19, 2010 - 09:34 AM

For tubes you just need to specify yhe rim diameter so you would need an 18" and a 21" tube. I have ran the M12s and they are decent. No experience with the other tires.

thanks for the prompt response.

so to be clear, if i ran the michelin tires, that i could run these tubes / sizes, right?

tires:
m/s12xc - 90/90x21 F
m12 - 130/80x18 R

tubes (MSR UHD)
80/100x21 - F
110/100x18 - R

sorry, this is the 1st time i've replaced bike tires in 20+ years, so i'm a little rusty

• drick

Posted December 19, 2010 - 09:43 AM

p.s. what front tire are you running with the m12 rear? m12xc or s12xc, or something else?

• panaman

Posted December 20, 2010 - 06:22 AM

I run an S12, but my terrain is probably a little more filled with mud than yours.
Also, on a side note... the WR450 has two rim locks on the rear tire. I suggest throwing one rim lock in th trash can.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baja trail Rider

Posted December 20, 2010 - 07:08 AM

For sand mud .hill climbs in Ca m5b 140 is what every one I ride with uses.We use the bridgestone ultra HD tube .also to remove one rim lock maybe ok if you use 12psi or more.We run the two because we only run 6psi with one wont hold the valve stem.For trail riding in Baja we use the irc ve33 510-18

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 21, 2010 - 04:11 PM

Yeah.... leaving on just one rim lock will piss you off when you are trying to get out of the woods or finish a race on a flat rear tire.... they put two on for a reason, it's easy to spin a tire and rip your valve stem off if, like baja said, you are riding with lower pressure and hittin' it hard :excuseme:

• tribalbc

Posted December 21, 2010 - 05:15 PM

Yeah.... leaving on just one rim lock will piss you off when you are trying to get out of the woods or finish a race on a flat rear tire.... they put two on for a reason, it's easy to spin a tire and rip your valve stem off if, like baja said, you are riding with lower pressure and hittin' it hard :busted:

I've run one exclusivly for 4yrs now. 8 PSI and Moose UHD tubes. No issue with spinning a bead off a rim. I don't know of another 450 that runs 2, it's not like we're making more horsepower than other 450's :busted:

BTW the next time you need to replace a rimlock get one of those new Motion Pro ultralights or whatever there called. Cost 3 times as much as a regular one but they'll last forever and have really good gripping capabilities :excuseme:

• Baja trail Rider

Posted December 21, 2010 - 05:27 PM

Ok TB with 8psi your good ,but I forgot to say.If we cant get up a hard trail we let it out as low as 2-4 psi.Also when too lazy to fix flat tire 2 rim locks holds the tire on better.I do agree with better rim lock.Mine are made out of a old rim,with cut groves.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 21, 2010 - 08:57 PM

I run 6psi most time with a Desert IT, or 8 - 10 with an MX51.... my rim is full of flat spots, I am 230 and seem to find the sharpest edged shit every where I go.

I mark my tire and rim and it slips up to a 1/4" or more between tire changes... I always use a UHD tube and leave the stem nut backed completely off to the cap. The tire always slips backward (on braking).

I brake rim locks usually when I flat so I'll check out the motion pro.

• tribalbc

Posted December 21, 2010 - 09:07 PM

I run 6psi most time with a Desert IT, or 8 - 10 with an MX51.... my rim is full of flat spots, I am 230 and seem to find the sharpest edged shit every where I go.

I mark my tire and rim and it slips up to a 1/4" or more between tire changes... I always use a UHD tube and leave the stem nut backed completely off to the cap. The tire always slips backward (on braking).

I brake rim locks usually when I flat so I'll check out the motion pro.

Desert IT is so stiff you could probably get away with 2 PSI :excuseme:
I'm a bit lighter than you, range in the 175-200 lbs. Spring I'm heavy, fall light :busted:
I'm pretty dingless on the rear, tends to be my front rim that takes a beating from the rocks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.