Going for a hot cam in my 426 - input please

8 replies to this topic
  • TARKaw

Posted December 18, 2010 - 09:13 PM

I have decided to do the hot cam exhaust cam in my '01 426. For those that have done this I could use some info;

- Any luck buying from an eBay seller? if so which one. Seems I could save 50 bucks through eBay
- Did you need the shim kit?

I guess eventually I'll need the shim kit, but at 80 bucks I'd rather save the money right now if I don't need it. I only have a few hours on a new top end, unfortunately the previous owner didn't do the cam when they had it open.

• Birdy426

Posted December 18, 2010 - 10:34 PM

I see that both AJC and APEX are selling hot cams on e-bay. I bought the hot cams for my son's 250 from AJC, and have bought other stuff from Apex. Both are first rate, with product as described and quick shipping. I think AJC does a bit better job of providing shipping info and such, but you won't go wrong with either.

As far as a shim kit, I wouldn't do it. You will probably have to shim, but you would use at the most 5 shims from the kit. Find out what you need, and buy individual shims from your local dealer or parts house. Many service departments will even swap what you have for what you need if you are a "regular customer..."

• TARKaw

Posted December 19, 2010 - 05:29 PM

Good to hear from someone that has done this already - thanks for the info :excuseme:

• TARKaw

Posted December 21, 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hey thanks for the input on APEX. Ordered my cam and it arrived today! Looking forward to tearing into the 426 :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted December 21, 2010 - 05:50 PM

How much did you save going through ebay?

• crf450319

Posted December 21, 2010 - 06:26 PM

I bought a Hotcams shim kit 4 years ago, and it's more than paid for itself in convenience alone. Ya, it's $80 but are you ever going to be doing head work again ? Installing new valves/cams etc. ? They are very handy to have.

I also put a stage II hotcam in my '05 CRF 450 (bike that I had before my YZ), I had read some guys who said they had "so much more power" with the Hotcam. Which wasn't entirely true, I knew before I put the cam in.. but what it does is it takes a little power from one range and puts it in another. With my Honda, I lost a little bottom end but gained more on top.

• brentn

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:23 PM

Honda guys get the most value out of the shim kit it seems... :excuseme:

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 22, 2010 - 12:48 AM

Honda guys get the most value out of the shim kit it seems... :excuseme:

No lie there:busted:

• TARKaw

Posted December 23, 2010 - 08:29 AM

How much did you save going through eBbay?

Got the exhaust cam for $138 which included shipping etc. That's about 50 bucks cheaper than anyplace else I found.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.