can you find the problem?

8 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 18, 2001 - 04:26 PM

I have recently purchased a 99 yzf400 that is in fair condition. The idle seems to hang going into berms, and in neutral if i blip the throttle a popping noise occurs during the de-acceration of the motor. I have cleaned the carb numerous times. The accelerator pump had plenty of dirt in it, but is clean now. My jetting is 180 main(stock175) Pilot-stock and the clip is moved to the fifth position. Elevation is sea-level. The mixture screw is one and a half out. Everything else is stock. Today i tried to see if the timing was right but the spark plug wire clip for the timing light wasn't picking up the signal. I have checked the TPS and is OK. No air leaks and the cables are fine. Any information would be appreciated greatly

Thanks Greg NJ

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 18, 2001 - 05:17 PM

I have a 00'426 and when I leave off the throttle I get that popping and crackling going on, and the bike does not want to start very easy either. I have yet to find out why? sorry I can't help you, still trying to figure it out myself. Let you know if I have any luck. LATER DAYS!!! Hit-man

• dirtdad

Posted March 18, 2001 - 06:18 PM

302 and Hit-man, The popping and crackling you're experiencing is most likely caused by a lean condition in your idle/slow circuit. Try turning the fuel screw out in 1/4 turn incriments until the situation improves or just goes away. Do not turn it out any further or it'll be too rich. This is a fairly simple solution to try. If it doesn't help, just keep track of the number of adjustments so you can put it back where it was. Hope this helps.

• blbainb

Posted March 18, 2001 - 07:47 PM

You're both experiencing a lean condition. I ran into this while trying to solve a plug-fouling condition that turned out to be the cdi. A lean pilot will lead to a 'run-on' sympton when blipping the throttle slightly from idle. On early YZFs the trick was to turn the pilot screw out to 2+ turns or go 1 richer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 20, 2001 - 04:24 PM

THANX, dirtdad and blbainb, next time riding I will try that and see how I make out. Would this also make it hard to start? Thanx again guys!!! LATER DAYS!!! Hit-man

• dirtdad

Posted March 20, 2001 - 05:00 PM

yes.

------------------
like a kid again!
00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
91 CR125
83 YZ490
74 Hodaka Super Combat

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 21, 2001 - 04:59 PM

i turned the pilot jet out two and a quarter turns out and that did the trick. It cleared any other problems that i had complaints of. It's a miracle. Thanks a lot guys.

• James_Dean

Posted March 21, 2001 - 07:14 PM

Glad to hear this was so simple. It's still surprising that tipping the bike to the side would be enough to speed it up. Have fun 302!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 25, 2001 - 05:39 PM

Well I tried to start my bike today and I kicked it 20 times nothing. Pull the plug out put another one in, old but good its all I had. Kicked it 20 more times, would get a little sputter, than I would blip the throtle and get another sputter, blip the throtle a couple more times, a better sputter, then after that several times I would get it to run 4 or 5 sec. and it would shut off, did that 3 times :D Then my foot hurt to bad and I was very :) and before I did something I would regret, I quit. Any Idea's would be great!!! Hit-man

------------------
00' yz426f LATER DAYS!!!

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.