my first day with a 98' Yamaha WR400F

15 replies to this topic
  • uppinsmoke

Posted December 18, 2010 - 01:31 AM

long story short, i acquired a 98' wr400f, i let my friend try to kickstart it and he didnt know how so he broke the kickstart lever, now there is a nice big crack on the rightside of the crankcase. i havent took it to a mechanic yet but it definitely needs to be looked at, im still learning each part=/

Today I registered to this forum and I finally found a 98' Yamaha WR400F bored .30 over for riding, so that's the good part! I was taught how to properly start a WR400F by the previous owner but I didnt take the time to really practice "his way" right after I test drove it. Instead I waited a few hours later and my friend suggested starting it "his way," which was the wrong way(i dont have much experience on bikes). Unfortunately my friend's technique was completely wrong as he repeatedly kicked over and over(WAy TO MANY TIMES), giving the kick lever a few inches of space between his foot, unable to start it. Eventually the return spring became weak it wouldnt return, my freind kicked it one last time and the inner crank case cover cracked but only where the lever is connected and bit further. Why did this happen exactly? He wasn't using the decompression lever, like I was told to, which my friend truely did not know how to use he thought by kicking it as hard as he could that he would start it(he is 6' 5" and used to own a Yz125). Now most likely the kickstarting assembly needs to be replaced and possibly more. There is a crack on the right side of the casing surrouning kick starter lever and most likely so will the kick starter shaft, again im not very familiar with the parts. Today i didnt take the time to realize that i have friends who give horrible "tips" and over all it was a crappy day because now i have to figure out exactly what is damaged and how much the part and labor will cost!

all i wanted was a bike to go riding ,which i could have, but not anymore. the worst part is im a college student and have no cash. i really hope not much more is damaged and i dont have to replace a bunch of other parts. i still have to have someone look at it! I might as well replace the engine with a new one..? i hope not

TODAY, my day went from great to very dissapointing

thankfully i look at the bright side of things. im gunna have new parts when i get everything fixed and will have a beast of a bike because the ONLY time that i rode it, i enjoyed it very much everything worked perfect and it soaked up every bump so smoothly as i ripped through the gears, i basically love the bike already! except now i cant ride it till i fix it. i cant wait to go ride!!=/

sorry for the long post, this is the beginning of MY riding experience....i will appreciate any advice from people on here!

-Omar

Edited by 98wr400eff, December 18, 2010 - 04:11 AM.

• canammx1

Posted December 18, 2010 - 01:53 AM

So why isn't your buddy paying for the repairs?

• uppinsmoke

Posted December 18, 2010 - 02:20 AM

he will be paying for parts he says i just havent decided whether or not i should buy only the right crankcase and clutch cover and new parts or a complete bottom end.

Edited by 98wr400eff, December 26, 2010 - 05:38 AM.

• THE CYBERDEMON

Posted February 23, 2011 - 08:54 AM

I feel your pain, I picked up a new to me 04 wr450f two weeks ago and still haven't had a chance to ride. I spent the first week waiting for a tire and carburetor parts, then 4 days ago on the day I got my parts I fell on some iced stairs at the college and now I won't be riding for awhile with two freshly herniated disks. At least the ortho doesn't think I need surgery, thank god because I am only 22. But the pain is still unbearable I figure I got at least two months of physical therapy until I can ride. The upside is two months to spend money on goodies so I got the perfect bike when I can ride. :smirk:

• uppinsmoke

Posted February 26, 2011 - 07:46 PM

I feel your pain, I picked up a new to me 04 wr450f two weeks ago and still haven't had a chance to ride. I spent the first week waiting for a tire and carburetor parts, then 4 days ago on the day I got my parts I fell on some iced stairs at the college and now I won't be riding for awhile with two freshly herniated disks. At least the ortho doesn't think I need surgery, thank god because I am only 22. But the pain is still unbearable I figure I got at least two months of physical therapy until I can ride. The upside is two months to spend money on goodies so I got the perfect bike when I can ride. :thumbsup:

sorry about your accident!

good thing we're still a bit younger we just have to make that bullsh** history and keep lookin at the upside of things. I'm finally gunna get my bike running next month now that I have some money. I just need to figure out if I should buy a complete bottom end from ebay.

It takes time, evidently, but theres no rush EXCEPT when ur riding. Unless you ride like a bTCH!! no pun intended to anyone.

:smirk:

I have a 98' but I dont mind that it's a 98 cuz it's a Yamaha, so i know once it's fixed and the engine is healthy and I learn more about the bike, and motorcycles in general i'll have extra parts n' new parts, more knowledge and if i have to fix it again it's cool. if i have to buy a new 450 engine in the future i will buuuut right now i cant so i will have wait till i win the lottery for that.

i have all the gear and a bike with that doesnt run. it's gunna be nice once it is especially because it's springtime soon it REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY sucks waiting.

good luck though man God bless

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:46 AM

Wow sorry to hear about your first experience with your bike. Hopefully you get it all fixed up soon with not too much cost. Keep your friend far far away from your bike from now on. Like a 100ft restraining order haha

• uppinsmoke

Posted March 02, 2011 - 11:52 PM

Wow sorry to hear about your first experience with your bike. Hopefully you get it all fixed up soon with not too much cost. Keep your friend far far away from your bike from now on. Like a 100ft restraining order haha

it's okay, he is definitely not touching my bike anymore i've learned my lesson. he has an 06 yz125 now so he can break his own bike=] and i wouldnt be surprised if obama already hasent made such a law!

Edited by 98wr400eff, March 03, 2011 - 11:42 PM.

• ZéPovinho

Posted March 07, 2011 - 12:31 AM

here is an help on starting your bike:
http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg
http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

it's made on a YZ but it works the same on a WR

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • _Hitman47

Posted March 07, 2011 - 10:28 AM

Wow dude, bad to hear that. but dont hurry, you can get your crack welded quite easily. 3 days ago I myself saw what a good welder can do to totally disintegrated honda crf starter gear housing :thumbsup: 2 hours of welding, lots of bad words and the bike rips again!

And if your bike doesn't spill alot of oil thru that crack, you can ride it even now. Just roll the bike, pull the decompressor in, let the clutch out, wait for revs to build and drop decompressor :smirk: but thats just theory, wont recomend it as some internals could be damaged aswell

Good luck!

• matt4x4

Posted March 08, 2011 - 05:58 AM

if it's the main case, you need to replace both sides since they are always machined as a pair and you could run into some REAL issues by only replacing one half. There is a possibility that you could have the crack welded by a competent welder because of where the crack is located.

Hopefully option 2 will work for you.

• Shred Jesse

Posted March 08, 2011 - 09:16 AM

There's a starting procedure on the WR400 that your moron of a friend doesn't know. He'll feel retarded after this...

-Pull out kickstarter...
-Gently push it down until you find a point of large resistance (you can't put over 75% of your weight on the kickstarter to push past, that's TDC)
-Keep weight on kickstarter, don't push down.
-Pull decompression lever
-Gently push past TDC.
-Release Decompression lever
-Bring foot and kick starter to top of stroke
-Kick down HARD!
-If it doesn't start, rinse and repeat.

Sounds complex, but you got quite used to it. I can start my bike in the most precarious of situations now with ease.

• SXP

Posted March 09, 2011 - 06:24 AM

There's a starting procedure on the WR400 that your moron of a friend doesn't know. He'll feel retarded after this...

-Pull out kickstarter...
-Gently push it down until you find a point of large resistance (you can't put over 75% of your weight on the kickstarter to push past, that's TDC)
-Gently push past TDC.
-Kick down HARD!

Sounds complex, but you got quite used to it. I can start my bike in the most precarious of situations now with ease.

Did you check out post #8 on page 1? Say's it better then words:thumbsup:

• Shred Jesse

Posted March 10, 2011 - 12:07 AM

Did you check out post #8 on page 1? Say's it better then words:thumbsup:

Missed it! My bad!

• ZéPovinho

Posted March 12, 2011 - 04:12 AM

-Pull out kickstarter...
-Gently push past TDC.
-Kick down HARD!

at least he earns some kudos for bodering to whrite

• MANIAC998

Posted March 12, 2011 - 05:23 AM

Omar, One recommendation I will make is to make sure you never accidentally pull in that decompression lever while the engine is running. I did this by accident back in '98 and ended up bending that exhaust valve. So learn from a Dummy! Don't Do It!!! Maniac

• MaxPower

Posted March 12, 2011 - 08:27 AM

[COLOR="Green"]did you find the cases your need?[/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.