10-11 YZ450 Girth

7 replies to this topic
  • sean3239

Posted December 17, 2010 - 08:16 AM

Now that the new Yamaha 450 has been out for awhile, I was wondering the Yami Engineers are going to work on next. Chad Reed comments aside, I do think they need to work on getting the shroud area girth down in size. I have had the 2010 now for about 6 months and its probably the only thing that bothers me. I'm 6'1" and so I notice it when moving up on the tank in tight turns, etc. I realize with the intake and the radiators in one location, this is going to be difficult, but I'm hoping its something they are looking at. What could they do? can they elongate the radiators decreasing the width?, or radically change the radiator system/air intake design up front (again)? Any one else agree...disagree, ideas..or bike is perfect as is?

• brentn

Posted December 17, 2010 - 10:56 AM

It could use some minor alterations, there's a good list of small complaints in the 2010/11 likes/dislikes thread.

I really don't like the height on this bike, I wish it had a lower seat.. Every time I try and kick start it the bike slides back with me cause it's too tall.. friggen annoing and hard to kick start when it's too tall.

• YamaLink

Posted December 17, 2010 - 11:03 AM

The only time I consider the bike not as slim is after riding my YZ 250 two stroke for a long duration and then hopping on the 4 stroke.

• HRC

Posted December 18, 2010 - 05:01 AM

It could use some minor alterations, there's a good list of small complaints in the 2010/11 likes/dislikes thread.

I really don't like the height on this bike, I wish it had a lower seat.. Every time I try and kick start it the bike slides back with me cause it's too tall.. friggen annoing and hard to kick start when it's too tall.

I´m not a tall guy but I actually prefer riding the higher YZ450F compared to the low-riding 2010 CRF450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mick17

Posted December 18, 2010 - 06:11 AM

The Cycra shrouds make it feel thinner.......quite a bit thinner actually!!!

• no air charlie

Posted December 18, 2010 - 06:33 AM

I have to disagree with you on this one. I have an 08 RMZ and a 08 CRF and my 10 YZF feels the most cramped of the three. I wish it had a slightly taller seat. It does have visually wider shrouds than the other two but I can't say that I have even noticed them when riding it.

The biggest thing they need to fix is the off idle jerkiness of the fuel injection. The bike can be annoying when riding 1st gear through the pits and would be my last choice if I were doing a lot of tight woods riding. This is one place where the Suzuki FI system works great, it is very smooth just like a perfectly jetted carb'd bike. On the mx track the YZ works great, you don't notice the FI when the bike is ridden the way it was ment to be.

• alien

Posted December 18, 2010 - 01:01 PM

I removed the little plastic covers on the tank on my '10 and it feels a little more narrow.
The '10-'11 is a nice bike but how do we put it on a weight loss program?
I replaced alot of bolts with aluminum and TI but that was only about 1 pound.

• Brady84

Posted December 21, 2010 - 01:18 PM

I have to disagree with you on this one. I have an 08 RMZ and a 08 CRF and my 10 YZF feels the most cramped of the three. I wish it had a slightly taller seat. It does have visually wider shrouds than the other two but I can't say that I have even noticed them when riding it.

The biggest thing they need to fix is the off idle jerkiness of the fuel injection. The bike can be annoying when riding 1st gear through the pits and would be my last choice if I were doing a lot of tight woods riding. This is one place where the Suzuki FI system works great, it is very smooth just like a perfectly jetted carb'd bike. On the mx track the YZ works great, you don't notice the FI when the bike is ridden the way it was ment to be.

Have you tried some of the alternate fuel maps? I agree in that the off idle jerkiness was very upsetting to the chassis. Changing the map made that characteristic go completely away. My bike has a HC piston and FMF system on it, I'm not sure if that also helps but with the stock map I could still feel quite a bit of jerk at low RPM's.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.