Help?! trouble starting 450f

7 replies to this topic
  • IamRooster151

Posted December 17, 2010 - 07:38 AM

hello i have an 06 yz450f and it wont start. i dont know what it is if it is just the cold weather (20 degrees daily) or because i havent started it in about 6 weeks. tell me what i could do to get it started in this cold weather please. thanks alot

• pembell

Posted December 17, 2010 - 10:26 AM

What have you tried? Changed the plug? Does it almost start, or just 'nothing'?

• IamRooster151

Posted December 17, 2010 - 01:33 PM

just nothing i was thinking it might be a foul plug, or the cold weather but my 250f starts right up so i think it might be a foul plug

• dgcars

Posted December 17, 2010 - 02:21 PM

Then take the plug out of the 2fiddy & put it in the 4fiddy....:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmcr250r

Posted December 17, 2010 - 02:28 PM

If you put it away with gas then your gonna wanna clean your carb.

• dgcars

Posted December 17, 2010 - 03:21 PM

If you put it away with gas then your gonna wanna clean your carb.

6 weeks at 20* isn't gonna hurt that carb.....:excuseme:

• brentn

Posted December 17, 2010 - 04:46 PM

No it's not.

These bikes have accelerator pumps, when you twist the throttle literally a shot of fuel goes right into the intake when the valves are opened and into the combustion chamber.

I found for hard starting bikes that have this to twist the throttle at the same time that you kick it over.
Had a crf250r that would not start for the life of me, probably clogged pilot jet or something. After realizing that it shoots a stream of fuel for a twist of the throttle, I tried it while kicking and it fired right up.

• broncomoto

Posted December 17, 2010 - 06:01 PM

just did a valve job on my 06 yz450f b/c it wouldnt start cold. turns out center intake valve had no clearance. replaced that valve, went down fro 185 to 180 shims on both exh valves, decarbonized and viola! only problem now is the front wheel wont stay on the ground. ps. for this layman, diy valve job took time, but wasn't that hard to do. spent about 300 on the piston, rings the one intake valve head and base and the shims. yes I would have rather loaded that 2011 in my truck, but now im glad i didnt.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.