Valve Shim Diameter Differences

4 replies to this topic
  • broncomoto

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:17 PM

I'm going from the stock 185 to 180 valve shims on the exhaust valves. My Yamaha Dealer was out of OEM shims. He found a couple of 180s that were loose, indicating that they came out of a motor and were saved. When comparing the stock 185s to the 180s I noticed the diameter was about 60% of the stock ones. Doesn't look like it could slip out of the cradle but just want to know how particular this needs to be.

• BBrown626

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:19 PM

Get the hotcams kit. Best value and they will fit properly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jasonlion54

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:46 PM

Don't use 'em, they don't fit. Used shims will not change diameter. Any dealer that also has a service department should be able to give you any shim you need, that is for your bike.

If you do use 'em, take pictures. I wanna see what happens!

• KJ790

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:58 PM

The smaller diameter ones are most likely 250F shims. Use the right size shims. All of the Japanese 450's use the same shims, so you can get the shims you need from any Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki dealer. If one dealer doesn't have any, go to another.

• broncomoto

Posted December 17, 2010 - 06:16 PM

the "don't use 'em" advise was the best. turns out, the dealer gave me the 250 shims, using them would have been bad. valve/piston job completed, runs like new. thanks for saving my a**

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.