Freinds 06' 450: Frame Damage and Concerns

23 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted December 16, 2010 - 05:56 PM

So my buddy and I recently both aquired 2006 yz450f's. We pulled the engines out of both and sent them to a local shop to have the cases split and inspected..

With the motor out of his, we found some frame damage on the inner rail. From the rear of his bike, it looks like a good 1/4 inch of material has been taken out.. He is VERY concerned about the damage and is considering selling his bike...

I took some pics of it and told him I would post it here so he can read the feedback..

Also, he is somewhat regretting his purchase. He feels like for the money he paid for his 450F, he could sell it and get an 05 or newer yz250 ...His main concern is the 450's getting more advanced while two strokes remain mostly the same.

He plans on keeping a bike for several years and is worried his 450 will be viewed as an old school pig while the two stroke will likely be very similar to the new two strokes of the near future...

I myself am happy with the 450..its plenty of bike for me, even down the road...

Any thoughts for my concerned freind? Which would you rather have? 06 450F or 05' or newer yz250???

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by bhsballer76, December 18, 2010 - 03:56 PM.

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted December 16, 2010 - 06:01 PM

I wouldn't worry at all about the frame damage. I have had 3 of those aluminum frames with the exact same wear. By the way it is a worn out chain that causes the wear to happen. I would just tell him to ride it and forget about it.

• myoung

Posted December 16, 2010 - 06:15 PM

That was one loose chain!

I wouldn't sweat it, doesn't look that bad and I assume he would never let the chain get loose enough for that to happen again.

• KJ790

Posted December 16, 2010 - 06:44 PM

A misaligned rear wheel can also cause the chain to hit the frame like that.

• locomike

Posted December 16, 2010 - 06:54 PM

Take some sandpaper and smooth out all the sharp edges around the removed material, and if there are any gouges, not just worn areas, be sure to smooth them out until you can't hook a fingernail in them. That should remove any stress risers and the frame will be fine. It is actually probably just fine as-is, but it will help you buddy sleep better at night.

• bhsballer76

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:02 PM

A misaligned rear wheel can also cause the chain to hit the frame like that.

how would you find out if the wheel was misalinged?

• zukboy789

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:07 PM

By the clickers on the axle blocks. Somebody may have adjusted one side of the adjustment bolts but not the other.

• KJ790

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:07 PM

how would you find out if the wheel was misalinged?

Measure from the center of the swingarm pivot to the center of the axle on both sides, it should be equal if the wheel is on straight. The notches on the axle blocks have been wrong in the past.

• bhsballer76

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:15 PM

thansk guys. So everyone believes he should be in the clear as far as the frame??

Anyone care to chime in on the 450F vs yz250 long term ??

• Troutman

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:23 PM

I had the same exact thing on my old 06. Do not worry about it, I am 6' - 4" and weigh 240 and ride MX and never had a problem with the frame. Get a new sproket and chain install them properly and rock on the 06 is a great bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mr. Neutron

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:30 PM

The notches on the axle blocks have been wrong in the past.

A Big " Plus One!" to that!! Mine are so far off I can't believe it; don't trust those marks! Measure as was stated with a tape measure! I actually almost considered buying some aftermarket blingy axle blocks because of how far off they are...... :busted:

Hmmmm.

Anyone care to chime in on the 450F vs yz250 long term ??

This is almost a "2-stroke versus 4-stroke" kinda debate..... I haven't owned a YZ250, but have owned a 300 KTM MXC. I ride with a buddy that has a YZ250. Both of the 2-strokes have been VERY durable, and easy to fix. And each of us has had to replace a lot of parts in our bikes at one time or another. His YZ250 had the shift stop roller (rolls into the notches/detents on the end of the shift drum) disentegrate, which is actually a fairly common problem with Yamaha YZs in general. He went ahead & did a top end, replaced a bunch of tranny bearings, and some gears & shift forks in his tranny. He had enough money into it to fix it that he needed to "hide" the exact total from his wife, hee hee..... :busted: I can't give ya an exact dollar amount. It was substantial, but less than the cost of similar repairs for a 4-stroke, I'd bet......

FWIW, I had to have my 300's engine pretty much completely rebuilt on my old KTM. New piston ($300!!! :excuseme: ), crank rebuild, rod, miscellaneous tranny bearings, water pump, & such. I think I had a little over $600 into it when I was done, and I was lucky. Mine didn't need the cylinder replated...... This is all to give a guy an idea of potential maintenance costs on a two stroke.

All that said, I do enjoy the heck out of riding my 450 on the track a lot more than I did the 300. And it's really reliable. I'm certain when i have to, say, have the head rebuilt, throw in a piston & rings, cam chain, maybe crank & etc., I'll have a decent chunk 'o' change into it, but I'll still have a great bike I enjoy riding, and besides, being broke keeps me outta the taverns..... :lol:

Jimmie

• myoung

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:56 PM

You're getting into a hot topic with the 2 vs 4 deal. :excuseme:

Long term on both will be totally subjective to use and maintenance. Way too many variables to say anything absolute.

All I can say in my personal experience is, in the 20 or so years I spent play riding before I started racing, I spent far more money in the first half on 2 strokes for top ends and other repairs than I did on my 426 for the last ten.

Now racing on the other hand, that will end up costing more with my 450 I'm sure than if I had decided to race a 2 stroke. I'm faster on the 4 stroke, though, and I win my share of races, so it's all worth it to me.

• crf450319

Posted December 18, 2010 - 08:04 AM

If you were to look at 10 bikes, 9 of them would have wear on that part of the frame. The Yamaha seems to like a little more slack in the chain (than my CRF did) and if you've got a sub-par chain on your bike or you ride with the chain too loose it will touch that part of the frame and it'll remove a little material.

Tell him not to worry about it at all... :excuseme:

• bhsballer76

Posted December 18, 2010 - 03:50 PM

ok, my buddy is 6'3" and around 230lbs...He is now concerned about the frame not being strong enough..

He thinks it may begin to flex and possibly form hairline cracks from heavy track riding.

He is a fairly fast rider and is worried the forces of doubles and triples will have a negative affect on the frame lasting. He intended to keep the bike for several years and is worried about it lasting and staying in good shape for that long..

• myoung

Posted December 18, 2010 - 04:55 PM

Sounds like he's convinced himself to sell it regardless of what any one will say. Don't bother yourself with it any more and move on.

• bhsballer76

Posted December 18, 2010 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like he's convinced himself to sell it regardless of what any one will say. Don't bother yourself with it any more and move on.

lol..yea...you might be right. He was in love with the bike untill he saw this..now he seems to be having buyers remorse...I know he wants to bike. he just really would feel more comfortable with popular opinion telling him hes good to go..

• rmcr250r

Posted December 18, 2010 - 06:02 PM

If he's so paranoid why doesn't he just buy a new frame off ebay. Theres alot of them on their that are brand new or have very low hours and some are reasonably priced.

• crf450319

Posted December 18, 2010 - 06:13 PM

ok, my buddy is 6'3" and around 230lbs...He is now concerned about the frame not being strong enough..

He thinks it may begin to flex and possibly form hairline cracks from heavy track riding.

He is a fairly fast rider and is worried the forces of doubles and triples will have a negative affect on the frame lasting. He intended to keep the bike for several years and is worried about it lasting and staying in good shape for that long..

What you're looking at there will have ZERO effect on the frame cracking etc. etc. No effect on it - period.

• myoung

Posted December 18, 2010 - 06:41 PM

lol..yea...you might be right. He was in love with the bike untill he saw this..now he seems to be having buyers remorse...I know he wants to bike. [COLOR="Red"]he just really would feel more comfortable with popular opinion telling him hes good to go..[/COLOR]

So far, they have. lol!!

• steve_97060

Posted December 19, 2010 - 09:14 AM

lol..yea...you might be right. He was in love with the bike untill he saw this..now he seems to be having buyers remorse...I know he wants to bike. he just really would feel more comfortable with popular opinion telling him hes good to go..

seriously, what is he so paranoid about, a little wear from the chain or that the frame may begin to flex and possibly form hairline cracks from heavy track riding because they are two different issues?

and just exactly how would the YZ250 or any other bike be any different with frame flex?

sounds like he is just looking for excuses...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.