Dead Man's Switch

11 replies to this topic
  • travertt

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:18 PM

Can anyone recommend a supplier of a good (and simple) dead man's switch for an 04 WR450F?? I know it will require a unit set up for a "normally on" electrical default.

I recently got thrown off the bike while in about 18 inches of muddy water and by the time I was able to find the kill switch (buried in the mud under the water) the bike had sucked in enough water and dirt that it made its way thru the air filter and carb and into the cylinder where it seized the piston.

Fortunatly for me it was able to be flushed cleaned and re-started and appears to run fine (have done 6 oil and filter changes).

Since I ride in this muck frequently I would like to have a little backup to the kill switch on a bike that idles so well it won't die of its own accord when lying on its side.

Thanks

• tech24

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:23 PM

I have used several of these on atvs. Pro circuit is good too but another 10 bucks.

http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=9296

• dgcars

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:34 PM

Check out Pro design...pretty neat & good stuff
Posted Image

• tech24

Posted December 17, 2010 - 04:58 AM

yeah pro design is what I meant not pro circuit

• travertt

Posted December 17, 2010 - 07:50 AM

Thanks dgcars and tech24.

Pro Design looks good but they don't appear to sell direct to the public. Any ideas on where to buy these over the net?

• tech24

Posted December 17, 2010 - 08:48 AM

http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=9295

Its not yellow though

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted December 17, 2010 - 11:37 AM

Back in the day a friend had a 3 wheeler. He attached a set of chevy ignition points to ground and tapped into the kill switch. A simple piece of non-conducting material between the points tethered to his wrist did the trick. Crude but cheap and effective.
Posted Image

• jayh300

Posted December 17, 2010 - 11:45 AM

had never really thought about putting one on a dirt bike.... until the last ride..
we were climbing out of a ravine and one guy crashed... the bike went on the throttle side, on its side, and went to wot.....one guy at the top of the hill, one at the bottom, bike on its side in gear, back wheel spinning, and a hill you could not walk up..
got me thinking about one too...

• tech24

Posted December 17, 2010 - 11:47 AM

I hear that I'm thinking about using one when running ice screw.....that sure would hurt

• byggd

Posted December 18, 2010 - 05:28 AM

had never really thought about putting one on a dirt bike.... until the last ride..
we were climbing out of a ravine and one guy crashed... the bike went on the throttle side, on its side, and went to wot.....one guy at the top of the hill, one at the bottom, bike on its side in gear, back wheel spinning, and a hill you could not walk up..
got me thinking about one too...

You can avoid that by installing bark busters......

• jayh300

Posted December 18, 2010 - 08:04 AM

You can avoid that by installing bark busters......

that bike has fastways triple clamp bark busters... it was a fluke deal, but still pretty spooky..

• travertt

Posted December 18, 2010 - 09:20 AM

http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=9295

Its not yellow though

Thanks for the feedback guys...Rocky Mountain Parts looks good.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.