bent front end (uncle peanuts)

4 replies to this topic
  • yz250cranker

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:01 PM

i have had the front tire off from a puncture i hit a rock and i think i bent the front end the bars wont aline straight with the bike unless tilted to the left i checked the triple clamps and from there i need a guru maybe bent triple clamps?

• yz250cranker

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:06 PM

Get the bike up on a stand (milk crate) just to get the weight off the front wheel.

Loosen the pinch bolts holding the fork tubes a bit, then stand in front of the bike and pinch the front wheel between your knees while you grab the bars and turn both ways until the front end straightens out.

Re-torque the pinch bolts to spec.

This usually fixes the prob'. Does it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:20 PM

You shouldn't need to loosen the pinch bolts on the triple clamps. What usually happens is the lower fork tubes twist a bit. Remove the tire, reinstall it (once you can get the axle back in) and before you tighten the pinch bolts on the axle take the bike off the stand, hold the front brake, and cycle the front suspension a few times. This should help to center the tire in the forks. Sometimes you need to smack the tire against a tree or the side of a building, but usually compressing the suspension a few times does the trick.

• myoung

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:26 PM

Geeezz, how big of a rock did you hit? After a certain point, they're called boulders. lol!!

It sounds like something moved in the clamps. How did you check them?

• yz250cranker

Posted December 17, 2010 - 12:00 AM

boulder rock i dissassembled for repair

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.