water pump seal gone already?

6 replies to this topic
  • dakotabo

Posted December 16, 2010 - 01:16 PM

09 Wr 450, I would be lucky to have 10 to 12 hours on the bike. I bought it new but haven't had much time at all to ride over the season due to work. I did however make sure it was started and taken for a short ride from time to time up and down the street. Today when I started it as usual, after 2 or 3 minutes of running i noticed some antifreeze on the ground under it. I took the skid plate off and noticed it was leaking out of the weep hole from the water pump. I let it run a little longer, and it stopped. Now it has been cold out here, could it just be from things contracting because of the weather and then just warming up?

• dakotabo

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:57 PM

• djv5

Posted December 16, 2010 - 03:42 PM

They all do it, especially when cold. As the bike warms up, the drip stops.

Replace the waterpump impellar shaft seals to cure it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted December 16, 2010 - 06:42 PM

Good chance it's just the seal shrinkage from the cold. I've had it on various seals and orings and the leak disappears when it's warmer.
f you own your bike long enough though you will be replacing the seals/ waterpump shaft one day. One of the only weak oints with this engine...

• Flagstaff

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:02 PM

My experience on a '06 will slowly get worse. Not time to panic but keep an eye on it. Irecall alot of info on this forum when Ihad my problem. Do a search.

• dakotabo

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:37 PM

I did a search, but just can't believe being so little run time that it would leak so soon!

• Flagstaff

Posted December 16, 2010 - 08:45 PM

Agree, mine had more time, but not alot of time.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.