Peice of metal fell into crank: What to do...

4 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted December 14, 2010 - 02:42 PM

While using a ratcheting wrench to pull the top end off my 06' 450F, one of the teeth on the ratchet fell off and onto the crank and into the bottom end..

Today I attempted to use oil and deisel fuel to flush the motor hoping I could get the peice to come out of the drain plug.. I did this atleast 7 times...NO luck...

While I had the bottom end filled with fluid, I put the bike in gear and rotated the rear tire to spin things around in an effort to move the piece towards the drain plug..I spun it in every gear and everything worked smoothly..Still no luck at the drain plug..

So now im at a loss for what to do. I feel like I should split the cases, but after looking at the design of the cases it appears there is a litte dip where the oil pick up and drain plug sits..

Is it possible this little piece of pot metal is just sitting down there? If so, would it pose any risk when riding the bike???

If i had my own place, I would take some time to split the cases ad hunt it down, however, I dont have that option right now..

Any thoughts on what I should do??

• alspeed

Posted December 14, 2010 - 03:26 PM

hey there bhsballer76 , although i try to prevent objects falling into open crankcases , engines etc by stuffing cloths or the likes of into the openings i have had similar things happen , murphys law , if its open something is bound to get in there ...so you could

1 . hope what you have dropped is magnetic , try a telescopic magnet and get it down between the crank halves

2. get someone to help you and flip the bike upside down , it might fall out , drain the trans/clutch fliud first so you dont make a mess

3. sounds like you have top end off so it wouldnt take long to take engine out , pretty easy , then you could hold the engine upside down and shake it around what ever is in there should fall back out , make sure you get everything out... make sure the ratchet is complete then repair it or chuck it,
in the aircraft game ratchets are specifically made so that nothing can fall off em no screws and stuff

and no dont even consider leaving that piece in the engine , two words come to mind..... catastrophic failure

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bhsballer76

Posted December 14, 2010 - 08:32 PM

hey there bhsballer76 , although i try to prevent objects falling into open crankcases , engines etc by stuffing cloths or the likes of into the openings i have had similar things happen , murphys law , if its open something is bound to get in there ...so you could

1 . hope what you have dropped is magnetic , try a telescopic magnet and get it down between the crank halves

2. get someone to help you and flip the bike upside down , it might fall out , drain the trans/clutch fliud first so you dont make a mess

3. sounds like you have top end off so it wouldnt take long to take engine out , pretty easy , then you could hold the engine upside down and shake it around what ever is in there should fall back out , make sure you get everything out... make sure the ratchet is complete then repair it or chuck it,
in the aircraft game ratchets are specifically made so that nothing can fall off em no screws and stuff

and no dont even consider leaving that piece in the engine , two words come to mind..... catastrophic failure

yea, the top end is off the bike right now. Im gonna full the engine and try to get it out tommorow...

this little mistake is costing me tons of time.

I called a few local shops and they all suggested i try flipping the engine upside down before I have them split the cases for me..

• usp4u

Posted December 16, 2010 - 09:18 AM

Get a lighted bore scope first and stick it up the drain plug to try to get a visual of the thing.

• dgcars

Posted December 16, 2010 - 09:25 AM

yea, the top end is off the bike right now. Im gonna full the engine and try to get it out tommorow...

this little mistake is costing me tons of time.

I called a few local shops and they all suggested i try flipping the engine upside down before I have them split the cases for me..

A while ago, we were doing the valves on an sxf...same thing happened...4 of us turned the whole bike upside down....and out dropped the
8mm socket + contents of the tank + oil = Lesson learned...:excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.