Useless add ons

54 replies to this topic
  • JDAM450

Posted December 17, 2010 - 07:36 AM

I think that if the part doesn't make the bike go faster or work better then it's not worth bolting on. But, I do like to see tricked out bikes. If I had the extra cash I would add a few cool things to my bikes.

• Smacaroni

Posted December 17, 2010 - 10:44 AM

Just bought a safety wire pliers and wire. Gonna "bling" the bike out over the weekend. Will be cursing the next time I have to remove something I've safety wired through a bunch of bolts...
But it'll look cool! (and I expect the track will require it)

• Wiz636

Posted December 18, 2010 - 07:41 AM

What's really cool is when you see a really good rider on a hacked out bike winning races.

• Moto Andy

Posted December 18, 2010 - 12:57 PM

What's really cool is when you see a really good rider on a hacked out bike winning races.

:excuseme: Just like my neighbor he's like 48 or so has an '02 WR that he leaves outside 24/7 rain, mud, hail, everything, plastics zip tied, NEVER washes it, everything rusted just a clapped out "looking" bike. Do an oil change about once a year, but the bike just keeps going and he's one of those old timers that will go out anywhere an just about mop up everybody else. It's hilarious.

• SparksXR426

Posted December 25, 2010 - 02:54 PM

When I was single and had more disposable income my bike had more useless stuff bolted to it. Now that I have 2 kids and a mortgage I'm one of the guys preaching that trying it stock first is best, only change what is necassary. :excuseme: When I started riding in the 80s/90s you could usually tell the faster guys by their setup, not anymore, now everyone looks like they have a factory ride.

• moto278

Posted December 25, 2010 - 09:37 PM

im partial to the look of the stock bikes. i slap on numbers nd exhaust after i put some hours on it to get used to the bike. change oil often, air filters, tires. ive got some 'custom' pieces ive painted to look cooler, holds up fine i think haha. cept im in the process of makin my own skid plate for both my bikes usin scraps round the garage

• ttr250dude

Posted January 21, 2011 - 04:05 AM

Are you saying my custom graphics kit didn't get me an extra 15 horsepower?

As for the intake/exhaust car hp gains being BS, thats not always true. My stock exhaust and intake are EXTREMELY restrictive. A full exhaust and CAI have shown a gain of roughly 15 hp ON THE DYNO, many times and on many different dynometers. So no, its not always a load of crap.

As for my bike, i wouldnt say i have any gimmic stuff. Lexx endcap, rear sprocket, DID chain(original chain had 90 hrs on it), heavier flywheel, and bars/grips/levers. The only unnecesary stuff i have is graphics, magnetic oil drain plug, and a zip ty fuel screw.

bill804

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oilspot

Posted January 22, 2011 - 09:25 PM

in all this talk of money waisted i think of two words..... "graphics kit".

I'm usually pretty thrifty when it comes to bling type stuff but I'm really having troubles trying to fight the urge on throwing money in this direction.

edit.... posted this before reading the whole thread, then saw the post above mine.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 22, 2011 - 11:52 PM

in all this talk of money waisted i think of two words..... "graphics kit".

I'm usually pretty thrifty when it comes to bling type stuff but I'm really having troubles trying to fight the urge on throwing money in this direction.

edit.... posted this before reading the whole thread, then saw the post above mine.

Stock graphics are just that, boring and the same as everyone else.

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2011 - 12:24 AM

Bling sold as bling and bought with the knowledge that it is only bling is not the same kind of waste of money as a part that is supposed to increase performance but doesn't do anything, as I see it.

• ttr250dude

Posted January 23, 2011 - 02:24 AM

Bling sold as bling and bought with the knowledge that it is only bling is not the same kind of waste of money as a part that is supposed to increase performance but doesn't do anything, as I see it.

Very well put

• Smacaroni

Posted January 24, 2011 - 05:53 AM

Ditto.

• Steel Panther

Posted January 24, 2011 - 08:40 PM

Stock graphics are just that, boring and the same as everyone else.

they may be the same but they look better than most of the ready made graphics that just make the bike a moving billboard.

• Polar_Bus

Posted January 25, 2011 - 02:07 AM

they may be the same but they look better than most of the ready made graphics that just make the bike a moving billboard.

I used to LOVE to look at the "pit flamingo" decked out pretty looking graphics bike before a mud race..... all's I would see is a big "bulls eye" waiting for my opportunity to "roost attack"

• HRC

Posted January 25, 2011 - 02:45 AM

If people want to buy unnecessary stuff for their bike, let em do it ! If that makes them feel better , good for them !

I buy alot of unnecessary stuff for my bike, and if it was just for my riding I would ride it stock for sure.
But buying stuff for my bike is kind of a hobby for me, and I feel I can afford it.
If I wouldn´t lay the money on parts for my bike I am very sure I would lay them one something else totaly unnecessary !

For me mx is a passion....both on and off the track !:thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.