Useless add ons

54 replies to this topic
  • SEOINAGE

Posted December 15, 2010 - 01:43 PM

Wait a minute...are you all saying that the case of BelRay Wind Repellant I just received will not make me faster... what da hey? :thumbsup:

No you need teflon coated spandex.

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 15, 2010 - 02:23 PM

Wait a minute...are you all saying that the case of BelRay Wind Repellant I just received will not make me faster... what da hey? :blah:

No you need teflon coated spandex.

Dont forget your turbo blinker fluid either. :thumbsup:

• kdub442

Posted December 15, 2010 - 06:09 PM

I'm one of those guys with a completely blinged out bike. People always say, WOW that is a nice bike!!! How much do you have in it. I say 3 grand. Then they go 3 grand in add ons? I then go. Nope it was a garage trophy that either hurt them or scared them. I put the first scratches from boots on it. I've added fork guard stickers. Zipty carb mod, and Suspension for a 250lb rider. I love the steal I got on my 07 YZ450. I may not be fast, but I look good going slow.

• jecole360

Posted December 15, 2010 - 06:46 PM

[quote name='Mick17']Why does anyone care what another person spends their money on??? Who cares???QUOTE]

I totally agree! Who cares what one guy does to his bike. I can see the point if it's strictly a race bike but if it's just some guy who rides for fun who cares. It's like when you buy a new truck and put on a new set of rims it's because you want it to look good. So if it makes your bike look good to you who cares what other people think bling it out if you want:thumbsup:!

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2010 - 07:38 PM

I don't care what anyone spends on the bike, as long as they have a good idea of what they are buying. What annoys me is the high priced "speed equipment" that gets marketed to people that does little more than clean out their wallets. It would be nice if none of it came all fluffed up with ridiculous and inflated claims of what it will do for the buyer, but the fact is that a great deal of the sort of things that were named earlier will accomplish very little if anything that could not be accomplished much cheaper without spending 1 or 2 or $300. People buying bling because they want it is fine. People getting sucked into paying through the nose for a magic feather isn't.

• John407

Posted December 15, 2010 - 08:12 PM

Grayracer, I don't know(or don't remember)the Black Feather Story.

I do however have an 09KXF which was 2 seconds a lap faster than the 08 which was 3 seconds a lap faster than the 07 which was 3 seconds a lap faster than the 06 which was........................................and on and on and on. BUT I do wish I would have waited for the 2010 or 2011 which are 3 or 4 seconds a lap faster than my 09.

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2010 - 08:37 PM

Another hint:

Posted Image

• KJ790

Posted December 15, 2010 - 08:58 PM

I do however have an 09KXF which was 2 seconds a lap faster than the 08 which was 3 seconds a lap faster than the 07 which was 3 seconds a lap faster than the 06 which was........................................and on and on and on. BUT I do wish I would have waited for the 2010 or 2011 which are 3 or 4 seconds a lap faster than my 09.

Haha, I know, I can't believe I ever rode those old slow bikes and how slow I used to go... oh wait :thumbsup: The problem is that eveyone else seems to be picking up 3-4 seconds a lap each season as well b/c my results really haven't changed much. At this rate we should all be breaking land speed records by 2014 :blah:

• Smacaroni

Posted December 16, 2010 - 06:15 AM

How about tear offs? Sure, they have a place, muddy/dusty race courses, but for the average schmoe out riding? $8 for a handful of cellophane...

• cowboyona426

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:51 AM

That makes me think about performance stuff for vehicles... 10hp from an intake, 25hp from a new exhaust, 100hp from a performance chip... etc. People buy all this stuff then take the claimed HP gains and add them and think they've got something special, then they get all defensive when you point out that they got snookered.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • c_dasilva127

Posted December 16, 2010 - 10:57 AM

That makes me think about performance stuff for vehicles... 10hp from an intake, 25hp from a new exhaust, 100hp from a performance chip... etc. People buy all this stuff then take the claimed HP gains and add them and think they've got something special, then they get all defensive when you point out that they got snookered.

All depends on what kind of vehicle it is. 100hp from a chip is ridiculous but when you start putting bolt-ons on a diesel truck, that's when you can gain some serious power.

• cowboyona426

Posted December 16, 2010 - 11:24 AM

All depends on what kind of vehicle it is. 100hp from a chip is ridiculous but when you start putting bolt-ons on a diesel truck, that's when you can gain some serious power.

Depends on the bolt-on. Most companies way over inflate their claims from what I've seen. But you get someone who doesn't know any better, and sits down and adds up all the claimed gains from various mods like intake, exhaust, etc etc. and they think they have 200hp over what they had before when in reality they might have half of that, or less.

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 16, 2010 - 11:54 AM

Depends on the bolt-on. Most companies way over inflate their claims from what I've seen. But you get someone who doesn't know any better, and sits down and adds up all the claimed gains from various mods like intake, exhaust, etc etc. and they think they have 200hp over what they had before when in reality they might have half of that, or less.

True. 100hp to add to a car is a large amount of power increase that you would definitely notice. The only way to add that much power is to throw on a turbo or a supercharger. I put exhaust on my VR6 for the sound. It helped the top end pull a little bit but I knew that it might only give me 2-3 hp. I ended up leaving the intake stock because there were no real net gains for my car. And it gets so hot under my hood that it would just be sucking in hot air and lose power. So the stock air box was my best choice.

• myoung

Posted December 16, 2010 - 12:14 PM

:busted::lol::busted::lol:

Oh man, thanks for the trip down memory lane. LOL!!

Reminded me of my buddy and the 600 HP 302 he had in his Maverick. :excuseme:

• wanawakeboard

Posted December 16, 2010 - 12:38 PM

The guys that crack me up the most are the ones at the track with their brand new 2011 450s with another 2500 bucks in bolt ons and cant even clear all the jumps.

whats worse? guys who ride mellow with nice bikes or idiots going the wrong way down one way trails on beaters with no respect for other riders? I have done some nice mods to my 450 and in truth Im not speed racer (cant due to injuries) but every once in a while Ill lean into it even though I get tired fast its nice to know the power is there when I need it... Plus if I break myself whos gonna make my house payment?...lol

• silentZ

Posted December 16, 2010 - 03:16 PM

if it has a function, then I am all for it.

My excessive list of aftermarket sutff:

Blue Ride Engineering axle blocks
Blue Ride Engineering Fuel screw
radiator braces

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 16, 2010 - 03:38 PM

whats worse? guys who ride mellow with nice bikes or idiots going the wrong way down one way trails on beaters with no respect for other riders? I have done some nice mods to my 450 and in truth Im not speed racer (cant due to injuries) but every once in a while Ill lean into it even though I get tired fast its nice to know the power is there when I need it... Plus if I break myself whos gonna make my house payment?...lol

I never said they were idiots they just make me laugh. Obviously someone going the wrong way on a one way trail is worse. I was just referring to the fact that they bought a bike that was too much for them to handle in the first place, then spent more money on it trying to make it "faster" than it already is. People can get hurt just as easily riding in the right direction, go off a jump land then get some whiskey throttle then hit the next one and fly off their bike, possibly break some bones and take someone out in the process. Ive seen it happen. Guy flew off his bike going off a jump and his bike hit another rider coming the other direction on another part of the track. The paramedics did not move either of them for over 30 minutes. So Im sure they must have been injured more than just catch your breath and have someone help you off the track.

• wanawakeboard

Posted December 16, 2010 - 03:55 PM

ouch!... that sucks... yea I gotta admit my bikes probably a bit much for me but I figured since I was gonna buy one anyways and get back into riding (after being out for 15 years) Id buy a bike that could accomodate my returning skills and that i wouldnt out grow, and the cost difference between the 250 (what Im used to) and the 450 wasnt too much so I opted for the bigger bike, And yes I admit I have done things to make mine faster even though I probably didnt need it yet, but I cant tell you how many times that power has saved me due to not clutching when I should or hitting the wrong gear, or just being out of practice. I dont regret it though I love my bike even though Im not the best on it I feel I have lots of room to learn and now I cant blame the bike...lol, your right about guys getting in over their heads with powerful bikes and I see your point totally, But just cuz its big and pretty with lots of extras doesnt mean were spolied, I get better every day, and Im always safe to make sure I ride within my skill level, and if I push myself its always when the track is clear (which is rare) Maybe Ill see you out there one day and if you have time teach me some of that mojo...lol
Im not that bad, but can always learn more... In fact I ride with a couple of racer guys I know who are pretty good riders and I admit although Im always at the back of the pack... im with the pack and they dont need to stop and wait for me...

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 16, 2010 - 04:15 PM

Agreed. Having extra power is nice, and I have a 426 so it has enough power for me, more than Ill ever use on the track which is all I ride now. I used to go to the desert a lot but all of my friends with our school and work schedules it hasn't really worked out since we've been in college. So my next bike I'm opting for a 250f which is a hell of a lot lighter than my bike, which if I can ride it decent enough to clear all the jumps at the track I ride at with some amount of style ha, I'm sure my 426 will feel like a joke after I hop on a 250f. Id be fine with picking up a stock one that was ridden buy an older guy that took care of it and just parked it. Id rather be the guy on the stock bike smoking everyone, than the guy that has a factory look alike bike and cant ride. (Im not bashing, thats just me)

• Polar_Bus

Posted December 17, 2010 - 03:45 AM

My personal experiences over the past 30 years as far as "big hp" at the track is that rider skill being equal, physicall endurance will ALWAYS prevail over engine hp. (at least at the novice and amatuer ranks). I've passed many a "Pro Circut cowboy" midway through the moto from the cowboys getting quickly tired from too much power and not enough endurance...All's I had to do was keep them in sight, watch them for signs of fatigue, then pass. Worked every time.

Also for the record, I also GOT passed many a time from better fit riders as well ! :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.