Useless add ons

54 replies to this topic
  • ectm3

Posted December 14, 2010 - 12:30 PM

I dont understand why people spend money on devices that are useless?I have had the opportunity to try(at others expense) the Dr.d rad lowering kit,Boyesen power wing,the r&d power bowl.....bla bla bla.The only things needed to be competitive are a good exhaust system,proper jetting or fi management,good tires,a good air filter and suspension tuning. The rest comes from heart and determination,not the latest gimmick.The mx magazines give these way too much hype!Just my two cents,save your money.

• myoung

Posted December 14, 2010 - 12:40 PM

I put the radiator lowering kit on and the only real advantage I notice is the radiator cap is a lot easier to get to. :thumbsup:

I have put my share of bling on, not so much about performance there. :blah:

• Smacaroni

Posted December 14, 2010 - 12:45 PM

The magazines need to make money, they can charge you $10 more an issue or they can take ads from anyone who will pay for space. Most people are willing to tolerate the ads.
You should read the meat head rags I do, loads of do-nothing crap, probably two pages for every page of good content and they're $7 an issue on the news stand.

• William1

Posted December 14, 2010 - 12:54 PM

The funniest part is the people that swear by these gimmicks.
It is interesting to see the reaction a person has to money spent. Even when the gimmick is cleanly debunked, they refuse to listen to reality. "It is from 'Awesome Racing', the ads look great, must be a big company with lots of guys in white lab coats and the best riders in the biz testing', when in reality it is a guy in his garage.
Funnier still is seeing a pro have the sticker on his bike, prominent sponsorship from one of these places and you know the gizmo is not on the bike. Then he is in an ad stating how terrific a product it is.

I am not too jaded am I?

• Moto Andy

Posted December 14, 2010 - 01:33 PM

The funniest part is the people that swear by these gimmicks.
It is interesting to see the reaction a person has to money spent. Even when the gimmick is cleanly debunked, they refuse to listen to reality.

I've got a friend that's just like this, always buying and installing the latest "best thing for...". The thing is i don't really care if he swears by it or not, i gave up on trying to talk to people after they've spent the money. Same mentality with half of the "nutritional" supplements, it must be working cuz i've spent the money. Whether it actually is or isn't doing what it claims to do, subconsciously it does what it should for the purchaser. If the guy thinks it makes his bike faster, he will probably go faster because he is pushing himself harder, if he thinks he's gonna take this supplement and lift more or jog longer he probably will simply because it has allowed him to get past the psychological block.

Main point being if he wants to spend his money, he will. I've got way more important things to concern myself with besides him and how he spends his money, and if he is supporting a guy in his garage that's great, it's the American way. I don't buy any of these gadgets because i understand that they are basically useless, and i'm poor haha.

Just playing devils advocate, no need to rag on everybody else...it doesn't make you feel better or make your day go easier by calling everyone out on their flaws...k bring on the criticisms, ha...

• cowboyona426

Posted December 14, 2010 - 01:50 PM

I've got a lot of useless add ons on my bike, solely for the purpose of customizing it the way I wanted. I know all my blue anodized parts won't make me faster or anything, but I like they way they make my bike look. I balance it out by putting on a lot of parts I deem necessary like skid plate, hand guards, radiator cages, etc. :thumbsup:

• Mick17

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:21 PM

Why does anyone care what another person spends their money on??? Who cares??? I'm sure there is a lot of people who think it's a wast of money to buy a dirt bike!!! I don't care.........Bought one (a few actually)!!! A lot of groups are trying to shut down ride areas.........We should worry more about them and not fellow riders!!! But thats just my 2 cents!!!

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:38 PM

I've got a friend that's just like this, always buying and installing the latest "best thing for...". The thing is i don't really care if he swears by it or not, i gave up on trying to talk to people after they've spent the money. Same mentality with half of the "nutritional" supplements, it must be working cuz i've spent the money.

That's where I come down. If it's going to cost me, it had better do something, and a lot of the stuff named is made to capitalize on ignorance and on the desire of many people to find a shortcut to learning how to actually fix something.

But because there's a market for it, I have plans for a speed equipment company that makes only useless and ineffective parts. I plan to call it "Black Feather Racing". You know the story?

Posted Image

• ectm3

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:40 PM

I've got a lot of useless add ons on my bike, solely for the purpose of customizing it the way I wanted. I know all my blue anodized parts won't make me faster or anything, but I like they way they make my bike look. I balance it out by putting on a lot of parts I deem necessary like skid plate, hand guards, radiator cages, etc. :thumbsup:

I dont think those are useless,a good skid plate and hand guards sure come in handy in the right conditions.More so little gadgets that promise the moon and the stars,but dont perform.

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 14, 2010 - 11:47 PM

The guys that crack me up the most are the ones at the track with their brand new 2011 450s with another 2500 bucks in bolt ons and cant even clear all the jumps. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted December 15, 2010 - 12:34 AM

The guys that crack me up the most are the ones at the track with their brand new 2011 450s with another 2500 bucks in bolt ons and cant even clear all the jumps. :thumbsup:

These people are in every sport, and they keep a lot of the aftermarket industries in business so I don't mind them. I try to think, maybe they ride a lot of desert or trails and this is their first time at the track :blah:
I have a few friends that enjoy riding, they are not very good but they have fun, they also like working on their bikes a lot and when there is nothing to do to it they buy something just to put it on. Its no different than buying rims for your car, its just bling!

• YamaLink

Posted December 15, 2010 - 05:30 AM

All good comments.
My childhood friend is part of a huuuuge factory race car motorsports team. He said kind of the same thing to me....about me.

My 4x4 truck came from the mfg with a "special" (I use the word loosely) off-road package. Not trying to be mean, the buddy did a lookover and gave me a list of things that would not even make it down to some of the races they compete in. Then he said something along the lines of "oh well, if casual drivers like you didn't think this stuff was cool many real 4-wheel racers wouldn't have a job."

• Glebo

Posted December 15, 2010 - 06:46 AM

I dont understand why people spend money on devices that are useless?I have had the opportunity to try(at others expense) the Dr.d rad lowering kit,Boyesen power wing,the r&d power bowl.....bla bla bla.The only things needed to be competitive are a good exhaust system,proper jetting or fi management,good tires,a good air filter and suspension tuning. The rest comes from heart and determination,not the latest gimmick.The mx magazines give these way too much hype!Just my two cents,save your money.

Haaa, this aint nothin', you should check out a couple of Harley forums....talk about $$$$ spent on bling, nobody here got crap on them...

And before you bash, yes I have one, and NO I don't do the chrome bling thing....

But, who cares what others spend their money on, it's not you they're making happy...:thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted December 15, 2010 - 07:25 AM

I dont think those are useless,a good skid plate and hand guards sure come in handy in the right conditions.More so little gadgets that promise the moon and the stars,but dont perform.

True, but my anodized brake reservoir caps, axle blocks, and engine plugs don't really serve any purpose other than looking pretty :thumbsup:

• usp4u

Posted December 15, 2010 - 08:44 AM

To each his own...."A fool and his money are soon parted." I say more power to them, pump more money into the industry.

• Polar_Bus

Posted December 15, 2010 - 09:27 AM

Or never even had the throttle truly WFO !

I'll also pass on all the wallet bait BS bling. If I had a dollar for every BS talking rider who had an all blinged $$ out bike on a stand in the pits, and then, same guy always seems to pull off the track halfway through the moto with all types of excuses why he (or the bike) quit....

My only percieved expensive gimmick is a Scotts steering dampener, and it's NO gimmick !!!

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 15, 2010 - 09:38 AM

Yeah I even have a hard time getting myself to buy things like a pipe and a tuner. I have a list of things I really want, most of which I'm having a hard time convincing myself to buy, especially since I also want the money for something else. But really what I want is the Tuner,yosh or mrd pipe, new chain and sprockets, new front tire, desert tank. There was some other things I wanted that were just bling, like red hoses and some other red items, but most likely I wouldn't do that for a long time, and i would be cheap with that. But even the things that I know will help with function, I don't know if it is enough to warrant spending the money, I also probably need new springs, but I'm on the downward slope with my weight so that might be a waste.

• Smacaroni

Posted December 15, 2010 - 10:54 AM

I'm not much for bling, but when it comes to power adders, I do a lot of research. I also follow to a mild extent, the herd mentality. If no one else has done it and it costs a significant amount of money (see my presence in the mini forum for proof of that), I won't do it. OTOH, if there's lots of information available, or if it's cheap but lacking anything to back it up, I'll likely give it a shot.
I just bought new tires for a style of riding I have no experience with. If I were paid the rate at my job for the time I spent researching, I'd probably have spent more time than money when I got to the check out.
I definitely believe in the placebo affect. If you think it does something bad enough, for you, it will do what you expect, sometimes exceeding your expectations.

• c_dasilva127

Posted December 15, 2010 - 11:30 AM

Or never even had the throttle truly WFO !

Exactly. But if they can afford it then let them buy it. Just more stuff to break or get bent when they fall over trying to take a rut. :blah: If I were them, I would keep the brand new bike stock, except put some bars on it that I like, and spend the other 2500 in suspension. Id rather have a bike that handled amazing rather than putting thousand dollar wheels on and a bunch of anodized parts. I rode my friends 2010 CRF450 and he said his suspension cost him a grand and was done by Schmidt. It blew me away with how well hit handled :thumbsup:, and it is no where near set up for me. If thousand dollar suspension can feel like that, and not even be set up for my weight, I can only imagine what another 1500 bucks could do. So if I had that kind of money to spend, Id put it in the handling department, because why buy stuff thats not going to actually make you better? A placebo effect will only get you so far.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 15, 2010 - 01:11 PM

Wait a minute...are you all saying that the case of BelRay Wind Repellant I just received will not make me faster... what da hey? :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.