Exhaust header tightening

2 replies to this topic
  • slodog

Posted December 14, 2010 - 09:36 AM

What's the best way to tighten the header on a 2009 YZ450F? Neither the bolt nor nut allow enough clearance to tighten with a standard socket and allen socket using a 3/8" drive and torque wrench.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 10:31 AM

I have no idea why you would need to use a torque wrench on the header. I use a 6mm T handle and a 12mm combination wrench to tighten mine. I first snug both fasteners while watching the flange plate to see that it sits flat, square with the face of the port, then I turn down the Allen 1/3-1/2 turn. After that, I crank down the hex nut until the flange squares up with the ring on the header. When using a new OEM gasket, you may need to tighten it a bit more to allow for the additional crush, but in either case, tightening the Allen first stresses the threads in the head less.

• slodog

Posted December 24, 2010 - 06:55 PM

Thanks, that's what I ended up doing.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.