how to wire up stock brake light??

17 replies to this topic
  • spokexx

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:37 AM

ok, i know the 2004 WR450 has a tail light which can be wired into a brake light. I just want to be positive on how to wire it correctly. I read another post where it seemed the guy did it correctly, but his switch burned out and the brake light function would stop working because of some ground issue somewhere.

So, i would put the switch on the rear brake hydraulic line. Then i would run a wire from the positive terminal on the battery to one of the terminals on the switch. Then i would run a wire from the other terminal on the switch to the yellow wire connector inside the tail light wiring harness.
Is this all correct?

thanks

• William1

Posted December 14, 2010 - 09:22 AM

Yup, that is correct.

• travertt

Posted December 14, 2010 - 09:57 AM

HI...I am that "other guy" with WR 450 brake light issue.

Your description of the wiring set up is correct. Just remember to CUT the yellow wire and then connect it to the hydraulic switch.

My problem was I spliced the switch wire onto the yellow wire instead of cutting it. If you search for the old thread there is a diagram attached.

PS... haydraulic switch came back to life when I corrected the wiring.

• spokexx

Posted December 14, 2010 - 10:15 AM

YES Travertt. I remember now reading your post and the trouble you had. It made think what was wrong and how i should handle this. So, you are saying to cut or remove the yellow wire from the harness?? If the wire stays in the harness, the "short" happens?
Ya know, as far as i can see... the yellow wire comes from the light, goes into the harness (female side?), and then nothing comes out the other side(male side?) where the black and blue wires come out. So i cant see where a short/ground would happen.

• travertt

Posted December 14, 2010 - 12:58 PM

Hi Spokexx

What to do is...
1- run the wire from your switch up to just about an inch or so below where the factory wires disappear into the brake light. There are three wires here yellow blue and black.

2- Cut the the yellow wire and securely attach the end that leads into the brake light assembly to the wire that you have run up from your switch. Ignore the blue and black wires.

3- Now just tape up the other end of the yellow wire (the end that leads back into the wiring harness towards the front of the bike) so that it will not short out.

Your brake light will now work fine.

Make sure you secure the wire running from the switch onto the frame of the bike in a couple of places as best you can with tape or zip ties. I also inserted a 5 amp fuse into this circuit but doubt that its really necessarry.

Let me know if you have any problems..I have a wiring diagram but cannot find a way to post a picture of it because I don't have (and don't want) a Photobucket account. I can email it to you if you want.

• spokexx

Posted December 14, 2010 - 02:39 PM

travertt, thanks a ton!!! i can see it in my mind. actually, the bike is right in front of me and i can see what you are talking about. Perfect. And thank you William.

• Lcpl0331

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:06 PM

On my brake light switch there are 2 black wires. Both are all black. No distinguishable markings on either one. How do I figure out which one is supposed to attach to the yellow wire?

• travertt

Posted December 15, 2010 - 09:48 AM

Lcpl0331..

It doesn't matter which black wire goes where from the switch...either way will work.

Just attach one to the positive terminal on the battery and attach the other onto your cut yellow wire coming from the brake light.

See below for wiring diagram..(no need to overthink this..its really simple)

IMG]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/travertt/Brakelightwireing_2.jpg[/IMG]

• Lcpl0331

Posted December 15, 2010 - 11:04 AM

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sledmoto

Posted June 13, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Lcpl0331..

It doesn't matter which black wire goes where from the switch...either way will work.

Just attach one to the positive terminal on the battery and attach the other onto your cut yellow wire coming from the brake light.

See below for wiring diagram..(no need to overthink this..its really simple)

IMG]http://i1133.photobu...htwireing_2.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you for the diagram and info from all. I have an 05 WR450. I bought a brake switch a couple of years ago and was trying to connect it per your diagram. The wire to the battery terminal appears to be just long enough, however, the other wire that you describe as going to the tail light is too short. I stopped by a dealer today to buy what I thought would be the correct switch, but the one they had for "jap bikes" looked to be the same length as what I have. Is there something different on my 05' or am I looking at the wrong switch?

• allterra

Posted June 13, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thank you for the diagram and info from all. I have an 05 WR450. I bought a brake switch a couple of years ago and was trying to connect it per your diagram. The wire to the battery terminal appears to be just long enough, however, the other wire that you describe as going to the tail light is too short. I stopped by a dealer today to buy what I thought would be the correct switch, but the one they had for "jap bikes" looked to be the same length as what I have. Is there something different on my 05' or am I looking at the wrong switch?

I have an 07 and just wired up my light..You will have to add extra wire to the tail off the pressure switch. If Iwere you I would make sure I had a minimum if an inch of slack at all connections then tape the loop when it is complete that way when there is some flex in the fender it won't pull the wires appart.

• sledmoto

Posted June 14, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I was looking for my "wire stretcher," but I think I'll go your route. Thanks for the heads up on the leaving a loop too.

• qposner

Posted September 24, 2014 - 09:44 AM

Bringing this back from the dead to say THANK YOU! I was trying to install the Tusk rear fender and light last night and it wasnt going to work without drilling through the side of my 04 WR450 rear fender and adding bolts. This will be MUCH cleaner. Going to do it tonight. Thanks a ton!

• Squiishyy

Posted September 03, 2015 - 03:26 PM

I still can't get mine to work. Can't get it to work. Can anyone help. I have about 0 electrical experience.

• bobpara

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:31 AM

I thought the stock tail light was just a single filament bulb

No way to have a brake light, just a glowing red running light, thats it

• chu

Posted September 04, 2015 - 09:31 AM

Depends on the year I guess.  The LED ones are 3 wire.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted September 04, 2015 - 12:51 PM

I thought the stock tail light was just a single filament bulb

No way to have a brake light, just a glowing red running light, thats it

The 2003-2006 bikes with the "real" bulb are dual filament and there are three wires going to the

bulb from the plug.    However, the bike's main wiring harness only has two wires going to the

plug.  

But adding brake light capability is still trivial...   just add a wire from the switch to the empty spot

in the plug.

• Squiishyy

Posted September 06, 2015 - 10:21 AM

I have an LED one. The light comes on with bike but brake light wont indicate when I hit the brake. Front and back both don't work.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.