Oil Filter Question - 2006 WR450

20 replies to this topic
  • ewr2004

Posted December 13, 2010 - 05:12 PM

Remember, the only dumb question is the question not asked.
My friend changed his oil on a 2006 WR450 for the first time and didn't note the orientation of the filter. Doubt ensued when he went to install his new reusable filter... Does the closed end of the filter face in or out?

I'll wait for a response and then let "my friend" know.

Thanks in advance.

• Flagstaff

Posted December 13, 2010 - 08:36 PM

Where is "you're friend's" manual?

• ewr2004

Posted December 13, 2010 - 08:47 PM

THE MANUAL! My God Flagstaff, you're a genius. It's truly a pleasure to know you.

The bike is brand new (to me) and the manual has been ordered.

Would any non-smart asses care to help?

• miweber929

Posted December 14, 2010 - 02:31 AM

Online manual would work and probably an online fische would show.

Google and searching the forum are your friends.

• Rellik

Posted December 14, 2010 - 05:07 AM

2006 Yamaha WR450f Owners Manual 22Mb
http://www.yamahaown...TJ-28199-43.pdf

• dgcars

Posted December 14, 2010 - 05:56 AM

Cut the guy some slack.....
Posted Image

This side goes in.....:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 08:20 AM

So after all of that, you tell him to do it backward? Oy.

The filter can only be assembled in one direction if you use the stock filter cover. There is one reusable filter (Ready Racing) that comes with its own cover because it's not made to the correct dimensions. That cover lacks the extended tab that prevents the incorrect installation of the filter.

The open end of the filter faces out against the cover. Reversing it will cut off oil to the engine. But, as I said, with the stock cover, you can't put it in backward.

• KGSloan

Posted December 14, 2010 - 09:07 AM

so the oil filters are cleanable/reuseable on these bikes? who knew (i've only done one change and only owned the bike for a few weeks).

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 09:11 AM

so the oil filters are cleanable/reuseable on these bikes? who knew (i've only done one change and only owned the bike for a few weeks).

Not the OEM filters, no. But Scotts makes a very high quality stainless steel mesh filter for the bike that can be cleaned and reused for years. Other copycats have come along, but they are made offshore, and although they claim equivalence with a Scotts..., well, I believe you get what you pay for.

More info:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• dgcars

Posted December 14, 2010 - 10:19 AM

So after all of that, you tell him to do it backward? Oy.

The filter can only be assembled in one direction if you use the stock filter cover. There is one reusable filter (Ready Racing) that comes with its own cover because it's not made to the correct dimensions. That cover lacks the extended tab that prevents the incorrect installation of the filter.

The open end of the filter faces out against the cover. Reversing it will cut off oil to the engine. But, as I said, with the stock cover, you can't put it in backward.

OOPS......:blah:
Apologies EWR, I should have said....this is what you see when it is in.....Thanks Grayracer...:thumbsup:

Edited by dgcars, December 14, 2010 - 10:42 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Flagstaff

Posted December 16, 2010 - 07:51 PM

I guess I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass.

• ewr2004

Posted December 17, 2010 - 08:21 AM

Today's your lucky day Flagstaff, because you're certainly both.

You should have bought a lottery ticket.

• dgcars

Posted December 17, 2010 - 08:55 AM

Lets get ready to rumble.............:excuseme:

• Flagstaff

Posted December 17, 2010 - 08:13 PM

No, don't have the time.

• mikewrf18

Posted December 22, 2010 - 11:07 PM

Not quite sure if the 06 differs much from the 03's, but here's some info that might help get you started until you get your manual. I would urge your friend to hold off a bit on maintenance until he gets his factory manual so he can follow the book by the numbers the first time so he learns the proper way to do it. It may save future headaches. Good luck. No dumb questions here. I remember my first oil change on my new bike when I first started riding. I was nervous, and triple checked everything!

http://www.thumperfa.../oil_change.htm

• yz-dwg

Posted December 23, 2010 - 12:58 PM

not to hijack this thread but here it comes, how many of you crack the oil pressure bleed plug after oil changes? I stopped doing it years ago and wonder about it every once in a while

• GCannon

Posted December 23, 2010 - 01:21 PM

not to hijack this thread but here it comes, how many of you crack the oil pressure bleed plug after oil changes? I stopped doing it years ago and wonder about it every once in a while

Not since the first oil change. I have to admit i did crack the banjo bolt on the head during first startup after the rebuild just to make myself feel better!:excuseme:

• WideRatio

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:57 PM

Not quite sure if the 06 differs much from the 03's, but here's some info that might help get you started until you get your manual. I would urge your friend to hold off a bit on maintenance until he gets his factory manual so he can follow the book by the numbers the first time so he learns the proper way to do it. It may save future headaches. Good luck. No dumb questions here. I remember my first oil change on my new bike when I first started riding. I was nervous, and triple checked everything!

http://www.thumperfa.../oil_change.htm

You guys are so funny. LOL. Its not like you are building a rocket guidence system. Its a friggen oil filter! Its idiot proof! My 9 year old daughter does all our bikes with no manual. Oh, I cant stop laughing....sorry bout that.

You love bike and dont want to hurt it. I know. Its cute. Awesome machine.

Do not even think about trying to shim your valves! lol

• mikewrf18

Posted December 23, 2010 - 10:55 PM

You guys are so funny. LOL. Its not like you are building a rocket guidence system. Its a friggen oil filter! Its idiot proof! My 9 year old daughter does all our bikes with no manual. Oh, I cant stop laughing....sorry bout that.

You love bike and dont want to hurt it. I know. Its cute. Awesome machine.

Do not even think about trying to shim your valves! lol

I'm glad you found some humor in this. I said when I first started riding, with my first bike. Thanks to all those who helped out over the years, and answered all my dumb questions along the way, I'm confident in my abilities now. I do also shim my valves, and yes, the first time I did it I felt like I was building a rocket guidence system! :excuseme:

• mikewrf18

Posted December 23, 2010 - 10:57 PM

I do it at every oil change.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.