YZ426F to trail bike

18 replies to this topic
  • Joenewb

Posted December 12, 2010 - 12:24 PM

I am a newb to riding bikes pretty much and just switched from a 97 KTM 360 to a 2000 YZ426f. What do I need to do to the yz to get it ready for trail riding? I will be riding at Chadwick mostly in Missouri. Occationally on a motocross track.

• bluethumper98

Posted December 13, 2010 - 08:43 AM

I have a 98 yz400 that I keep around for ever because it has made a great trail bike and it is almost identical to the 426. Mine has 14/50 gearing, fmf powerbomb and powercore 4, moose skidplate, bark busters, tm designworks guide and slider, a good chain and sprockets, works connection and msr radiator guards. The only real limtiation is the suspension has not been revalved so it gets a little rough on roots and rocks. The fmf exhaust really awakened this bike and it will rip to the rev limiter at will. It is a mx gearbox so top speed is a little low in 5th compared to a wide ratio bike.These mods really made it a good off road bike and it is tough too.

• myoung

Posted December 13, 2010 - 08:57 AM

There's a lot of info in the Yamaha section of the website and you would get more responses posting there.

My 426 is a 2000 as well and it's a very solid, reliable bike. I haven't done any tight woods trails, mostly desert and some MX. I've found it's very versatile in either, but a WR gear box would be nice out in the desert. The nice thing is you can do that swap easily with the parts from a WR426. You can even put the WR stator and flywheel on for a lighting coil if you're looking for that. I haven't changed the flywheel on mine, but I know a lot of trail riders like a heavier flywheel on these bikes. I highly recommend changing the exhaust cam to an auto decompression one if it hasn't already been done.

• DrThumper

Posted December 13, 2010 - 10:45 AM

I race a 2000 426F in woods and ride almost entirely singletrack, mountains and Moab/desert.

The 426 is a great trailbike with just a few modifications.

I've changed the gearing, anything from a 50 to 53 in the back depending on the trail and the season. Mostly using a 51.

Lower the pilot so your running pretty lean, this an adding a accel pump atomizer (Boyeson or Factory R&D) helps out the lower end to gain a bit of control when it's the most torquey. K&N air filter also helps out the lower end.

Other than that all I've added was a FMF Power Bomb header and still use the stock can with a Pro Moto Billet spark arrestor (and kick stand).

Do '01 clutch mod! The '01 clutch is a lot easier and smoother. I stll use the stock flywheel, after the gear change and carb adjustment/mod didn't feel the need anymore.

I still have the original de-comp. Works fine for me.

• Sierra_rider

Posted December 13, 2010 - 11:15 AM

I would suggest a suspension revalve. The open chamber forks that came on the Yamaha's can be quite good for offroad.

• Joenewb

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:13 PM

Looks like a revalve in the front suspension will be the first thing, one side is leaking anyways. What's that cost?

How much does the atomizer mod cost? Everyone keeps telling me how radical the power is and taming it down to come on when I want it and make it a little more controllable sounds appealing lol.

• Joenewb

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:17 PM

This bike has clutch issues. When it's cold it's all or nothing. After warmin up it gets better. Someone told me the basket was bent or something. If I did the clutch mod would that fix this issue?

• Ud_Luz

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:19 PM

I can't help you on your bike but PM me if you want to go riding at Chadwick. I go down 15 or 20 times a year.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:30 PM

To solve the clutch problem, do the 2001 upgrade:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=461631

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joenewb

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:35 PM

To solve the clutch problem, do the 2001 upgrade:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=461631

That'll fix the basket problem?

And to the guy that wants to ride, where do you live? Are you a pro newb or intermediate? I lean towards the newb side

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 06:42 PM

That'll fix the basket problem?

It depends. If the basket is either badly grooved, or the cushion unit is hammered, it won't correct the entire problem, but otherwise, it will fix the grabby, chattering 2000 model clutch. They were bad to begin with, even with a good basket.

• Joenewb

Posted December 14, 2010 - 08:18 PM

thanks man. how do I fix a basket or do I just have to get a new one?

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 08:38 PM

If the fingers are worn ("notched"), the basket can usually be replaced with an aftermarket one, but an AM part for the '00 can be hard to locate. If the cushion is beat up to the point where there is rotational slack between basket and driven gear, then you need another whole unit, and in that case, just get one for an '01-'02 instead.

• qkenuf4u

Posted December 14, 2010 - 08:42 PM

wow .. why didnt you just keep the 360 ? my neighbor had one and that was the most linear power delivering 2-stroke ive ever rode.. loved that bike... he switched over to the SUPPOSEDLY better 300 which i thought SUCKED...

• cowboyona426

Posted December 15, 2010 - 07:32 AM

I rode an 00 YZ 426F in the woods for 6 years. I never touched the suspension except for letting the air out a few times. For stock out of the box MX suspension, I thought it worked really well in the woods. Yes it could get a bit rough in the roots or rock gardens, but it was never so bad that I felt a revalve was needed. Lower gearing, radiator protection, handguards, and a spark arrestor and ride. Of course I had other stuff done as well, but the above parts were all that I felt were necessary to make the 426 a good woods bike. Out of the box, my old 00 was a way better bike to ride in the woods than the 06 I have now. Still miss my old 426 almost 4 years later.

• Ud_Luz

Posted December 15, 2010 - 11:08 AM

And to the guy that wants to ride, where do you live? Are you a pro newb or intermediate? I lean towards the newb side

I'm just old and slow. Like tough trails though. :thumbsup:

I live in KC.

• Joenewb

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:20 AM

Wow thanks a lot grayracer. That a lot of good info and I definitely appreciate it!

Udluz, I live in Springfield...

• Joenewb

Posted December 16, 2010 - 02:23 AM

wow .. why didnt you just keep the 360 ? my neighbor had one and that was the most linear power delivering 2-stroke ive ever rode.. loved that bike... he switched over to the SUPPOSEDLY better 300 which i thought SUCKED...

I still have the 360. I may keep it and sell the 426 if I don't like it in the woods. I liked the ktm but it's always having carb issues and trouble starting. Ive tried slides needles and jets and I must not know what I'm doing. In fact I know I don't know what I'm doing lol

• Ud_Luz

Posted December 16, 2010 - 05:33 AM

Udluz, I live in Springfield...

That sure makes it easier to go to Chadwick.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.