retro fit rear rim from 2008yz450 to 2009

5 replies to this topic
  • shubytbird

Posted December 12, 2010 - 08:56 AM

Need to find a bearing kit that will allow me to use a spare rear rim from my 2006 yz450 on a 2009 yz450. The 2009 uses a larger diameter axle bolt and it appears to have a different hub so just jetting bearings from a 2009 won't work.
anyone done one?

• mxtech347

Posted December 12, 2010 - 09:02 AM

Shuby,

Do you have a bearing supply house near you? I'm thinking you could take your hubs and axles in and they should have a bearing that will fit the O.D. (outside diamter) for your hub and I.D. (inside diamter) so it fits your axle and you should be good.

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2010 - 02:21 PM

This has been tried without success. No one seems to make the required bearings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxtech347

Posted December 13, 2010 - 08:11 AM

Gray,

Any chance of a bearing/drives place making the bearing or would the cost outweigh the cost of just buying a new hub?

• mxtech347

Posted December 13, 2010 - 08:13 AM

Shuby,

Have you looked on ebay or craigslist or a like source for a used hub rather than buying new? Might save you a few bucks and the headache of trying to retrofit bearings to the other hub.

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2010 - 09:12 AM

Gray,

Any chance of a bearing/drives place making the bearing or would the cost outweigh the cost of just buying a new hub?

There is not a practical way to do this as far as I know.

The only structurally sound way to address this that I can think of is to make up a set of steel sleeves with a 25mm O.D. and a 22mm I.D., and press fit them into a pair of axle blocks to be used with the undersized axle. Use of a good grade of steel is critical, since the walls of the sleeve will only be 1.5mm (.059").

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.