2001 yz250f bodywork conversion

11 replies to this topic
  • mx250s4life

Posted December 10, 2010 - 11:23 PM

i currently have a 2001 yz250f and i saw this 2000 yz426 that had a bodywork conversion done to it make it look like the 06-08 yz450f models. i wanted to know if there was a conversion kit for the 250f models. if anyone knows anything on this or if your have any suggestions that could help please comment.

• myoung

Posted December 12, 2010 - 07:47 PM

That would be quite the undertaking. There's a bit of fabricating that takes place for the '03-'05 swap, I think there would be a lot to go '06-'09.

Get any pics?

• gscx

Posted December 12, 2010 - 08:50 PM

The 03 swap is almost a bolt on to be honest. And after you sell your old plastics on ebay it basically is free.

• myoung

Posted December 12, 2010 - 09:32 PM

The 03 swap is almost a bolt on to be honest. And after you sell your old plastics on ebay it basically is free.

Almost, but not quite. :thumbsup:

I never did sell my old parts, wonder what I could get for them now. lol!

• gscx

Posted December 12, 2010 - 10:37 PM

Ive done it to my 426. The only thing i had to do was trim down the subframe mount to the frame. I didnt make the brackets for the gas tank. And the rads lined right up, i am using aftermarket rads though. The gas tank is tight as hell even without the mounts. I was surprised. But i got about 80 for my tank and about 40 for my subframe.

• myoung

Posted December 12, 2010 - 10:55 PM

Ive done it to my 426. The only thing i had to do was trim down the subframe mount to the frame. I didnt make the brackets for the gas tank. And the rads lined right up, i am using aftermarket rads though. The gas tank is tight as hell even without the mounts. I was surprised. But i got about 80 for my tank and about 40 for my subframe.

If you're happy with that, it's cool. Most people doing the swap want the tank mounted properly, not held on by the shrouds. The radiators aren't changed for the swap, so if your aftermarkets are for a 426, they would work fine. If they're for a 450, then it means 450 radiators will work as well.

It's all good. Not what this thread is about though.

I'm more interested in finding out, if the guy saw a 426 in third gen plastics, what went in to that swap. No plans to do that on mine, just curious. Seems like it would be a lot of work, if even possible. Totally different frame design and cant imagine how it would have happened without some serious changes. I'm thinking he actually saw a second gen swap. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gscx

Posted December 12, 2010 - 11:01 PM

If you're happy with that, it's cool. Most people doing the swap want the tank mounted properly, not held on by the shrouds. The radiators aren't changed for the swap, so if your aftermarkets are for a 426, they would work fine. If they're for a 450, then it means 450 radiators will work as well.

It's all good. Not what this thread is about though.

I'm more interested in finding out, if the guy saw a 426 in third gen plastics, what went in to that swap. No plans to do that on mine, just curious. Seems like it would be a lot of work, if even possible. Totally different frame design and cant imagine how it would have happened without some serious changes. I'm thinking he actually saw a second gen swap. :thumbsup:

I saw in your conversion about cutting back the mounds, and honestly that was the part i was worried about the most, making a clean cut and all. The rads i have are a bit wider than stock so maybe it pulled the shrouds back far enough. idk

• myoung

Posted December 12, 2010 - 11:11 PM

I saw in your conversion about cutting back the mounds, and honestly that was the part i was worried about the most, making a clean cut and all. The rads i have are a bit wider than stock so maybe it pulled the shrouds back far enough. idk

Wider? Or thicker?

I didn't know they were making the oversize radiators wider. That could be a pain for the guys with radiator cages.

• mx250s4life

Posted December 14, 2010 - 11:10 AM

That would be quite the undertaking. There's a bit of fabricating that takes place for the '03-'05 swap, I think there would be a lot to go '06-'09.

Get any pics?

i tried to find the ad again and it sold but i remember that he/she said it was a conversion to the 05' but i researched the 06-08 years and it was identical.
if there is a 05' conversion for my 01 then i'd be interested in finding that.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 11:16 AM

The '03-'05 is NOT the same as the '06-'09, and there is probably no realistic possibility of converting a steel framed bike to the later bodywork.

Here is the info for the '03 conversion for the '01 YZ426:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=151436

• mx250s4life

Posted December 14, 2010 - 04:04 PM

okay thanks. but will this type of conversion work on an 01 yz250f as well?

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2010 - 04:09 PM

Yes..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.