QUESTIONS ON 1998-99 YZ400 PROBLEMS

11 replies to this topic
  • NICK_FELT

Posted March 16, 2001 - 09:42 PM

I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THE YZ400'S FOR SOME TIME NOW AND I AM THINKING OF BUYING A USED ONE. I HAVE HEARD OF SOME PROBLEMS WITH THEM AND I WANT TO KNOW IF THEY ARE TRUE AND HOW OFTEN THEY OCCUR. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE WATER BUMP GOES OUT SOMETIMES AND THAT THE CRANK SHAFT WILL GO OUT AFTER A PERIOD OF TIME TOO. IF YOU COULD HELP ME WITH YOUR IMPUT I WOULD APRECIATE IT.

• Young_Padawan

Posted March 16, 2001 - 09:49 PM

All you have to worry about is the 98's

------------------
I am 5'8 155 on a 426.
I am nuts!

Livermore Ca

• Sandracer-UK

Posted March 17, 2001 - 12:12 AM

wots wrong with the 98's?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 17, 2001 - 06:41 AM

Had no problems at all with my '98...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 17, 2001 - 10:48 PM

MY 99' IS FLAWLESS............KNOCK ON WOOD!
G4

------------------
NOPE..........BOY.......
That's not thunder ridin' your BUTT .........
It's a whole Damn HURRICANE!!!!!!

• NICK_FELT

Posted March 17, 2001 - 02:38 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF DIFFERENT WEIGHT NUMBERS OF THE 400'S FROM 236 (WITCH IS NOT TRUE)UP TO 260. I KNOW THEIR AROUND 260 BUT I DONT THINK THEIR THAT HEAVY. IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME WHAT THE WHAT IS FROM THE SPEC BOOK I WOULD APRECIATE IT.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Arizona_Jeff

Posted March 17, 2001 - 06:02 PM

The only problem I have with my 98 is it doesnt like to stay behind other bikes,it insists on being in front. Me and betsy have a good open relationship and I agree to let her lead and she agreed to a bath after every ride. Besides that she only has a drinkin problem. Jeff

• F-Pilot

Posted March 17, 2001 - 08:05 PM

My 98 was 251 lbs ready to ride, no gas. 00 and 01 are 249 I believe, havent weighed mine yet.
Oh yeah, 2yrs no problems or failures on the 98. So far only a cracked gas tank on the 00.

[This message has been edited by F-Pilot (edited 03-17-2001).]

• Tom_N

Posted March 20, 2001 - 06:00 AM

Have not actually weighed mine but the service manual indicates spec on the bike is 252lbs wet - thats with a full tank of gas..

Course thats just what Yama says..

I have a 98 and the only problem I have had was a bad valve and some fine tuning carb probs.. I did have a major problem with a dealer mech who replaced the crank, piston, cam chain and connecting rod instead of the bad valve... I think all it needed was a valve job and I got screwed.. They did all the other work and it still knocked and a week later a valve bent.. I had to pay for that one too but when that was fixed my baby was quiet and ran like a new one... oh well I am not bitter (yea right) :) ...

The only real problem I have is that its a monster and wants to run like a bat outa hell... I am lifting weights just to build strength to hang on... LOVE THE THING

• wpattison

Posted March 20, 2001 - 06:45 AM

well, i've had a '98, a '99, and a 2000. regarding the '98 cranks, i have heard the same thing, but mine was fine when i checked at 180 hours. that's 180 hours of cross country racing, a little motocross, some trail riding, and a few enduros. not to brag, but to qualify those hours, i ride the 4-stroke expert class off road. also, the gents at thumper racing (russ is a guru!) have told me about motors with 2-300 hours that never had the kind of maintenance i did that were just fine. i put in my 3rd piston at 180 hours.

water pumps: initially i had problems keeping seals in my '98. i changed the shaft to the '99 with the harder coating and had no further difficulties. i kind of think the seal may have been in backwards from the factory, because i went through several before i decided to try turning one around (the spring side is the pressure side) and that stopped the leaking completely. ok, ok, maybe i put the first replacement in backwards...

hope this helps. i personally have found these machines to be bulletproof. if i were looking for a good value in a bike and i had some money for fix up, a '98 yz400 would be very high on my list.

------------------
will pattison
racer, engineer
www.ignitioninc.com

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 20, 2001 - 08:24 AM

My friend has owned his 98 yz400 since it was new. He has had to replace a broken kick starter and had the water pump seal go out like mentioned above. I bought a 99 yz400 just because it came with the Excel Rims. I have not had any problems other then replacing general wear and tear stuff. (tires, chain/sprockets, chain slider) I did manage to put flat spots in the front and rear rims though so don't make the Excel rims your only reason for buying a 99 like I did. It might not be worth it but now I do have an excuse to get the black rims I've always wanted if I ever have the spare cash laying around.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• NICK_FELT

Posted March 20, 2001 - 05:15 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AGAIN. :) YOU HAVE REALLY HELPED OUT ON MY DECISION. THIS SITE IS GREAT :D AND WHEN I ACTUALLY GET MY YZ400 I CAN HAVE SOME INFO FOR OTHERS. THANKS FOR THE HELP :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.