wheel coller mod

13 replies to this topic
  • the426master

Posted July 15, 2003 - 08:41 AM

what is a wheel coller mod and what is a wheel coller mod without the wheel

• CuLayTur

Posted July 15, 2003 - 08:57 AM

The wheel coller mod is a carb mod that places a RC wheel coller ( think it's 3/32") on the external accelerator rod for 98/99 model. You place the coller on the rod and adjust your accelerator pump timing.

CuLayTur

• Hick

Posted July 15, 2003 - 09:09 AM

It limits the travel and therefore pump stroke, it does not directly alter the timing.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 15, 2003 - 09:54 AM

what is a wheel coller mod and what is a wheel coller mod without the wheel

:) :D

You must have been reading my sig line.. :D :D

sorry for the confusion. I didnt mean to put that in there to confuse anyone. More than anything I put that in there to amuse BrandonW since hes the one that told me about it.

See,.. I ordered the wheel collars before I started the project or even checked to see what the duration of my fuel squirt was.
My bike was bogging BAD when the throttle was snapped open so I assumed it had to be loading it up with fuel.
Well, when I got the thing apart and checked it, it was just the opposite. The black pump rod arm and return spring were so guimmed up with dirt it couldnt push on the diaphram and I wasnt getting any fuel squirt!

I already had my wheel collars in hand that I ordered and I got the correct squirt duration without even having to instal one just by cleaning up my spring and arm.

Thus, my mod, "Wheel collar mod, WITHOUT THE WHEEL!" :D :D

• The_Missile

Posted July 16, 2003 - 01:41 AM

MOMilkman....do you know if is possible to order the diaphragm, linkage arm etc separately as mine is so rusted and gummed up it barely works even when have cleaned it all up ?

• Hick

Posted July 16, 2003 - 06:04 AM

MOMilkman....do you know if is possible to order the diaphragm, linkage arm etc separately as mine is so rusted and gummed up it barely works even when have cleaned it all up ?

You should be able to clean up the actuating rod with some emery paper. You can buy the diaphragms separately, in fact there is typically three or four optional part numbers. I don't know of anybody who has ever been able to find one of the non-standard diaphragms however.

Hope this helps.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 16, 2003 - 11:10 AM

Do what Hick suggests.

Also take everything apart and clean it up real good.
After every wash I spray a good amount of WD-40 on the pump arm and spring after every wash/ride so it wont get gummed up again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BrandonW

Posted July 16, 2003 - 11:19 AM

Do what Hick suggests.

Word, Moo! I knew nothing of this mod until Hick brought it to my attention. My economy improved and drastic opening of the throttle did not produce the "bog" after this mod.

Cheap and effective.

"Thanks" up the line.

• ehh400

Posted July 23, 2003 - 03:29 PM

Are there any photos of thismod so I can do it right the first time thanks for any help you can be on this!!!

• MOmilkman

Posted July 23, 2003 - 04:03 PM

Are there any photos of thismod so I can do it right the first time thanks for any help you can be on this!!!

Ye ask and ye shall recieve!

I cant believe I actually had pictures of this on my computer but I searched anyways, and I did take some! Cool :)

The first picture is the acc pump arm with the collar on. (keep in mind the collar is not in the right spot in this picture, so dont use it as a referance as to where to put your wheel collar.
Posted Image

This picture below will give you a good idea what it will look like assembeled with the wheel collar on. (notice the rubber bootie wouldnt fit over the collar)
I think Brandon said he got another larger bootie to fit it from a auto parts store?

Is that right Brandon?
Posted Image

• BrandonW

Posted July 24, 2003 - 05:53 AM

This picture below will give you a good idea what it will look like assembeled with the wheel collar on. (notice the rubber bootie wouldnt fit over the collar)
I think Brandon said he got another larger bootie to fit it from a auto parts store?

Actually, it was at the Blue Shop. I took the smaller, slightly torn boot in, told them what I was up against, and they brought several of them, I grabbed the next larger size, and boogied out the door.

Ain't looked back since!

• N7SLC

Posted July 24, 2003 - 12:19 PM

Actually, it was at the Blue Shop. I took the smaller, slightly torn boot in, told them what I was up against, and they brought several of them, I grabbed the next larger size, and boogied out the door.

Ain't looked back since!

Blue Shop = Yamha Shop?

• BrandonW

Posted July 24, 2003 - 01:24 PM

Yes. Blue Shop=Yamaha shop.

(Sorry about the confusion)

• Hick

Posted July 24, 2003 - 03:17 PM

I was wondering about that.

I thought you may have meant K-Mart. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.