Flatland Racing Skid Plate

12 replies to this topic
  • FNG241_WR450F

Posted July 15, 2003 - 04:56 AM

I did a post a few weeks ago for suggestions on a skid plate. I just got my new plate from Flatland Racing. You NEED to check this thing out. Not only is it tough, but it's the coolest looking skidplate I've seen. Fit is great! Not rattling or vibrating.
I had looked at e-line's carbon plate and a few others. This skid plate blows them away.

• ddialogue

Posted July 15, 2003 - 06:00 AM

I'm sure it's nice but I'm partial to my Utah Sportcycle skid plate. My Flatland radiator guards are nice, though. :)

• AkRider

Posted July 15, 2003 - 06:49 PM

I agree. I got the Flatland skid plate and like it a lot. It bolted right on and offers great protection. The radiator gaurds are great too. :)

• BlueThunder

Posted July 19, 2003 - 10:19 PM

Just ordered mine on Friday.....did it bolt to existing frame holes? Hate those J-hooks that came with my Moose skid plate....paint gougers, big time! :)

• xr600r

Posted July 20, 2003 - 05:11 AM

Those hooks on my utah cycle plate are a pain in the butt when it comes time to put the plate back on. :)

• BlueThunder

Posted July 20, 2003 - 02:56 PM

Can't figure out why all manufacturers can't use the existing holes from the original glide plate.....sooooo much easier and cleaner install.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gammab

Posted July 21, 2003 - 02:31 PM

Using the original mounts would be nice eh? Drill a hole, weld a nipple on the plate, done and done.

I still like the Utah plate though:
Posted Image

• basicblues

Posted July 21, 2003 - 04:32 PM

Help me understand. Do both Utah and Flatland skid plates use mounting brackets? Do both have oil drain access without removing the plate? Is there any skid plate that mounts without brackets using factory holes? What about the e-line skid plate, brackets/oil access? Yes or No?

• AkRider

Posted July 21, 2003 - 06:47 PM

The Flatland use's the stock holes. You just need to remove the stock plastic plate and the stock skid plate. I called Flatland about the case gaurds and they said you could leave them on. The radiator gaurds are top notch also. :)

• FNG241_WR450F

Posted July 24, 2003 - 04:41 AM

It was simple. 4 8mm bolts that go right in. Serious quality stuff.

• FNG241_WR450F

Posted July 24, 2003 - 04:42 AM

There's no hooks on the Flatland plat. Just 4 8mm bolts. Simple install.

• FNG241_WR450F

Posted July 24, 2003 - 04:51 AM

It's a simple install. Just take your old stuff off, then grab a 8mm socket and throw it on. No sweat. Same deal with the radiator guards. I don't know why anyone wouldn't use the stock mounts. That sounds like a real pain.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 24, 2003 - 07:24 AM

Ive got one of those crappy old Moose Plates and its like wrestling a greased pig to get it on.

Espically after it has taken a few hits as mine has and it has been bent. Then its about impossible to get the top bolt in the frame. :)

I love Flatland products. I might have to consider a new plate soon just because of how it bolts up.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.