01 wr426 out put shaft seal

7 replies to this topic
  • Gaffo

Posted December 09, 2010 - 02:34 AM

Hi all new to the forum and have a quick question I just changed the out put shaft seal no my 01wr426 as it was leaking but I still have a leak but not as bad do should I have changed some thing else as well so how do I stop the leak or is this normal thanks for the help

• GuyGraham

Posted December 09, 2010 - 04:48 AM

On a bike that age the spacer may also be worn, that the seal runs on.

Always a good idea to change the seal and spacer together

The spacer can corrode, and damage the seal and cause it to leak - it will then also damage the new seal if the spacer isn't changed

Try a new spacer, if it still leaks, then your new seal may be damaged and you'll need another one

• Gaffo

Posted December 09, 2010 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for that I'll order one tonight and stick it and see if it works

• GCannon

Posted December 09, 2010 - 09:00 AM

The spacer should be removed and cleaned. There is an O-ring which seals between the spacer and the shaft. Replace that o-ring so that the leak does not occur between the shaft and the collar. The spacer has an internal bevel edge for the o-ring. do not put the spacer in backwards. This is covered in the service manual under transmission.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2010 - 10:00 AM

One other caution when installing this seal is to avoid inserting it too deeply. It should be "just short" of flush with the case, standing out about 0.5 to no more than 1.0mm from the mouth of the socket, and, of course, it needs to be square with the case. Running this seal in too deeply can cause the seal lip to overhang the notches in the shaft collar, leading to a really big leak.

Remember that the output shaft seal holds oil under pressure.

• Gaffo

Posted December 10, 2010 - 01:13 PM

i just notice when my chain is tight it leaks more could it be the output shaft bearing shagged

• Gaffo

Posted December 10, 2010 - 02:24 PM

dose any body have the part numbers for output shaft seal,o-ring,spacer,and bearing and is it a big job to change the bearing, thanks for all the help

• GuyGraham

Posted December 13, 2010 - 04:44 AM

Bearing replacement requires the crankcases to be split, so yes it just about a big a job as it gets

You can get the part no.s of the bits off the RonAyers website

Chain should never be tight
If bike has been used with the chain 'tight' then yes your output shaft bearing may be knackered

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.