TIme bomb clutch!!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 15, 2001 - 07:32 PM

Just put a Hinson on my 00 426. Stocker had a huge crack in it that started at the rivets and ran all the way to the tangs. I could actually spread it apart!

Thank god I caught it in time! A couple more rides was all it would have took. WHeeew!

• Clod_Thrower

Posted March 15, 2001 - 10:12 PM

WOW, that was close. Just to let everyone know I just put a Performance Engineering basket on my 426 & it is working fine. I got it from Motosport Outlet for $139. I didn't have any cracks just grooves in my old basket.

• Boit

Posted March 15, 2001 - 10:36 PM

Dirtdigger: Did your basket have cracks at all 3 rivets? Murphy's Law smiled on you!... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 16, 2001 - 04:28 PM

Cracked at just one rivet. But there was actually aluminum chunks missing for about half the crack!

Yes I was very lucky. For all who are taking the chance with the stocker I say your asking for it. A few hundred bucks is cheap insurance.

I cant imagine what would happen if it came apart on a fast fire road or something out in the middle of BFE.

• Dan_YZF

Posted March 16, 2001 - 05:57 PM

Ok...ok...!! you succeed to fear me about my stock basket....lol...I think i'll change mine too, even if it looks perfect by now.

So a PE is a good choice??

Thanks for sharing your experience with us....

Dan

• Dan_YZF

Posted March 16, 2001 - 06:00 PM

I mean, is a Performance Engineering a good choice? or if a Hinson is the only good one??

• Clod_Thrower

Posted March 16, 2001 - 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Dan_YZF:

I mean, is a Performance Engineering a good choice? or if a Hinson is the only good one??

I think I'm the only guinea pig on this one. Does anyone else have a PE basket? Anyway it looked to be much stronger than the stock one & cured the grabbyness. I have about 10 rides on it & its working great.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.