XT225 vs. new XT250

8 replies to this topic
  • nrwphoto

Posted December 06, 2010 - 06:09 PM

Looking at buying one of these and looking for some info and opinions first. I have ridden a 92' XT225 and was pleased with it's performance for my intended purposes.

Which model do you guys think is better however? And why?

Second, why is the XT250 60# heavier than the XT225? I know the XT250 is of course larger displacement and has the rear disc vs. drum, but it also has a 5spd and I keep reading that the XT225 had a 6spd. (Is this true for all years, I thought the 92' I road only had 5 spds?) Thanks

• YZEtc

Posted December 07, 2010 - 04:22 AM

It's more like 33 lbs.

What has you confused is that, starting in 2009, Yamaha started listing the weights as wet weights (with oil, gas, etc.).
Dry weight on the 2007 XT-225 is about 238 lbs.
Dry weight on a 2008-and-later XT-250 is 271 lbs.

You can still go to www.yamaha-motor.com and compare the specs. :thumbsup:

• GlennF

Posted December 07, 2010 - 07:51 AM

The advantages of the XT250 over the XT225 are rear disc brake and 25 more cc's displacement. Advantages of the XT225 are 6 speed tranny, skid plate, and greaseable suspension linkage. XT250 had problems with out of balance OEM tires. XT225 has weak rear hub and spokes that must be checked frequently for tightness. XT225 can be hopped up more easily because it has a Mikuni carburetor with many jets available where the 250 has the proprietary Teikei carb that jets are hard to come by. I would call either bikes suspension equal.

• nrwphoto

Posted December 07, 2010 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for pointing the weight difference out. 30# isn't as bad, but still a little surprising considering how much the two have in common. How difficult would it be to convert the XT225 to a rear disc? I am sure finding a stronger wheel wouldn't be to difficult. Would you say that you could get the same power or more out of the 225 as the 250? Thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GlennF

Posted December 07, 2010 - 02:19 PM

Check the XT225 forum: http://www.xt225.com.../ubbthreads.php
There have been several owners who converted to disc---not easy. The rear drum is OK and hardly worth the effort to convert to disc. The 250 will have a little more torque because of displacement, but as I mentioned before, the 225 has jets readily available therefore has some more hop up potential. On mine, I went from#125 to #130 main, #40 to #42.5 pilot, turned the fuel screw out 3 turns (speeds up warm up) did the Z1 exhaust mod, UNI filter with modified snorkel and I feel I picked up 2-3 HP.

• Jim01

Posted December 07, 2010 - 04:54 PM

I bought my wife a 09 XT250 for her first bike. She said it was too heavy and too tall ( I thought it was a really nice bike). She rode it a little while then she saw a Xt225. I sold the XT250 and got a used 06 XT225 and she loves it. Its fits her better.
Jim

• Jay Welther

Posted December 10, 2010 - 11:57 AM

Hi, Can you give me the info on the Z1 exhaust mod? Thank you, Jay

• GlennF

Posted December 10, 2010 - 02:05 PM

The Z1 mod is quite simple. You remove the spark arrestor from the muffler body and it is secured by a single screw accessible through a hole from underneath the back end of the muffler. Usually, the screw is frozen and may require drilling out. I got mine out with an impact screwdriver and replaced it with a 6mm allen screw. About 6" inside the muffler is a baffle that completely fills the muffler body. There is an outlet at the side of the baffle that allows exhaust to flow through. It is quite small. Take a long drill or a hole saw with an extended shank and drill a 1" to 1 1/8 hole through the baffle. You then might have to fish the disc from the drilling out process. Any bigger hole makes more noise and no more power. You might drill multiple smaller holes and see how much noise it adds. It is more of a deeper tone that just loud. You may have to re-jet.

• tgstoken

Posted December 21, 2010 - 02:31 PM

Put simply, the XT225 is an all around better bike than the new 250. Even though the 250 has a small cc advantage, you would never know while riding the darn heavy slow thing. The 225 has more off idle power and cruises better due to the six speed gearbox. I dont understand why these companies keep taking a step backward in the dual sport market. Why replace the 225 with a heavier more bloated machine with a 5sp gearbox? Just like Honda replacing the XR250L with the CRF230. Worse in every way.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.