YZ450F 2011 for offroad????

8 replies to this topic
  • mrpink46

Posted December 06, 2010 - 10:50 AM

Hi guys, I ride a WR450F and have been waiting since 2009 for the EFI WR. Still no EFI of road from Yamaha, so I was thinkng in getting a 2011 YZ405F, but I would like to know what is your experience whith these machine out in trails, rocks, sand, steep climbs and all the normal offroad condittions.

I´ve seen there´s a heavier flywheel for offroad riding.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Andres

• tech24

Posted December 06, 2010 - 10:58 AM

I fair well with it stock all but larger rear sprocket and the woods map installed. Rekluse z-pro and backordered flywheel is on the way. I think with these it will be wonderful. I don't ever seem to have traction which gets squirrely on hill climbs. Throttle control is very important. The suspension works great for me, I'm not that fast but it seems the faster you go the better it works (i'm about 10lbs over target stock supsension weight).

Never have ridden anything but yzs so I can't really compare. Almost forgot about the injectioneering throttle body mod too. I don't have it but with that and the above mods I think it would be nearly unstoppable.

There are a few threads on the subject if you feel like searching. There's been a lot of complaints with stalling and it does stall easy which I have overcome with lots of clutch work so much that your fingers hurt from slamming the lever into them. With heavy flywheel and/or auto-clutch should be good to go.

• brentn

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:20 PM

Keep your idle set at the correct rpm (2000) or a little higher and it will help with stalling big time. Engine response is perfect at 2000, where as below that rpm there will be some lag.

I changed out my rear flywheel for a 50 tooth for the woods, helped quite a bit with slow speed lugging.

Forks and shock are really good for my weight, I find that they soak up quite a bit of the roots/rocks etc. I weigh 205lbs.
I rode all season with the jay marmot map, it's really aggressive and some people say that it doesn't do well for the woods but I would kindly disagree.
You will want to replace the front tire for sure for any kind of woods riding, I washed out too much with this tire. The rear tire stock (d756) holds up alright, but mine is almost wasted at 20 hours.
You'll want a steering stabalizer if you can afford it, I can't yet but really helps with the fast woods riding stability.

Other than that, the bike is pretty decent. No more flooding, and the stock tank may seem small but I have never run out of gas on a trail (2-3 hours of straight riding).

• YamaLink

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:22 PM

Proper setup is key so it is not different than any other except I may carry a bit more gas in the backpack; dump it in ASAP.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:22 PM

Almost forgot about the injectioneering throttle body mod too. I don't have it but with that and the above mods I think it would be nearly unstoppable.

I forgot about that, for slow speed lugging this mod really really really would help. I don't have it either but you'll know when you get on the bike and ride it for a week what we're talking about.
The throttle response from 0% to even 1% is very aggressive and snappy, can really screw you up sometimes or be really annoying.

• mrpink46

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:44 AM

I rode all season with the jay marmot map, it's really aggressive and some people say that it doesn't do well for the woods but I would kindly disagree.

Which is the Jay Marmot Map?, where can I find it?

Also, how does it handle overheating, given the fact that it has no water reservoir tank?

I ride almost trial trails, very steep, rocky. at times we come accross rooted sections.

I feel ok with the WR450F, but I want a new bike and want to change to EFI (no more carbs), that´s why I´m YZ with an offroad setup.

Thanks for the help.

• tech24

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:50 AM

Which is the Jay Marmot Map?, where can I find it?

Also, how does it handle overheating, given the fact that it has no water reservoir tank?

I ride almost trial trails, very steep, rocky. at times we come accross rooted sections.

I feel ok with the WR450F, but I want a new bike and want to change to EFI (no more carbs), that´s why I´m YZ with an offroad setup.

Thanks for the help.

The Jay map is under the EFI sticky. I use the woods map which kills initial power and gets rid of twitchy throttle and helps with stalling. Haven't tried the Jay map yet. I haven't had any problems with overheating even on 1st and 2nd gear tight woods riding. I think its very capable with a few mods and I love the EFI! It can be a bear to start after a stall on a hot engine until you get used to the technique.

• cattledog924

Posted December 08, 2010 - 05:37 AM

I have the 2010 Yz450F that I have setup for HS racing. Some mods that I went for were the IMS tank, I still have to stop for fuel in a 2 hour race. I also have the Rekluse Z-Pro Start, which I could not imagine riding without and to me with this clutch it tracks so much better I dont think that I would get the flywheel weight. Maybe down the road I would add it but the clutch should be one of the first things. The stock map works for the woods but definitely save up for the GYTR programmer. Also add on the skid plate and hand protection and it is really capable offroad weapon. The biggest complaint is dead engine starting for racing.

• upnorthbacon

Posted May 30, 2012 - 08:14 AM

I know it's an old thread but I have my 2011 setup for hare scrambles and enduros too. I went with the "broad" powerband map, 13-50 gearing, and G2 throttle tamer. I can lug and with the map and throttle tamer I have no jumpyness with the throttle. Also helped with my whiskey throttle moments. Cool thing is in about 5 min (including removing my bark busters) I can swap back in the stock throttle tube (didn't even need to adjust slack) and remap and this thing turns back into a firebreathing beast! I'm still adjusting to the quick front end turning and stiffer shocks but power wise it's perfect!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.