How to install handguards

9 replies to this topic
  • pickawinner

Posted December 05, 2010 - 11:09 PM

Installing handguards is one of the easiest mods you can do to your bike and the protection they offer should make their installation a priority. If you can tackle the most basic maintenance on your bike, like changing oil, brake pads, etc., you’ll have no problems with this. In this case I installed Acerbis Rally Pro hanguards with universal mounting kit on a 2008 Yamaha WR450F. The mounting kit includes support arms, inserts, liners of various thicknesses, spacers, rubber tubes and all the necessary bolts. The Pro Taper handlebar on my bike was a perfect diameter that didn’t require me to use any of the liners, spacers or rubber tubes.

Here’s a photo of the parts left over after the job was completed along with some tools I used in the process.

Posted Image

Start by holding up the handguards to your bike, on both sides, envisioning how they will sit once mounted. Once it looks like it can actually work and you’ve worked up enough courage, start by opening up a hole in one of your grips. Here I started with the throttle side, but it shouldn’t matter what side you start with. I used a utility and an Exacto knives to cut out the hole.

Posted Image

If the opening in the plastic throttle tube is not big enough for the insert to pass through, use a large drill bit or a round hand file to open it up. Test fit the insert often until it goes in somewhat easily.

Posted Image

I found that on my inserts the expansion segments were butting up against the conical expansion nut and so I prepped the insert with a few turns of the screw until I could see expansion segments go over the expansion nut.

Posted Image

Attach the insert to the handguard and push the insert into the handlebar as far as it will go while still allowing the throttle the freedom of movement to close under the power of the return spring. Test the throttle to make sure it closes by itself with the handguard up against it. For finishing touches here I added a little of lithium grease, just to eliminate all rubbing.

Posted Image

With the handguard in place test fit a support arm. The support arm can be mounted in either high or low position. I mounted mine in the low position to pass under the wires and cables. Just try different combinations until you find the comfortable position. As I already mentioned, the thickness of my Pro Taper bar allowed me to mount the support arms without using any of the liners that come with the kit, but if your bar is thinner, you may need to use liners if they come in your mounting kit.

Posted Image

Put all the bolts in and snug them all an equal amount. Play with the positioning of the handguards until you find the perfect position. Tighten all the bolts a little at a time each and keep going from bolt to bolt until all are tight. This will result in equal force and tension among all the bolts. Tip, I recommend a drop of blue Loctite on all bolts just to be safe .

The left side at first glance appeared like it would butt up against the brake line guide, but it didn’t. It fits just fine.

Posted Image

All done.

Posted Image

• mikewrf18

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for taking the time to take pics, and walk us through the process. They look great! This will surely help someone that hasn't done it before.
:thumbsup:
Oh yeah, welcome to the site, I just noticed this is your first post. Lots of great people, and great knowledge here!

• Akamatsu

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:46 AM

Nice job, thanks for the write up. Welcome to the site.

• YamaLink

Posted December 06, 2010 - 12:24 PM

And once again I am reminded that my digital camera is the worst ever. Your pics are clear!

• Shred Jesse

Posted December 06, 2010 - 01:05 PM

Huh, just plastic huh? Scary! I wouldn't trust anyting other than legit metal to protect my hands!

I've got some really cool bark busters coming in. Instead of bolting only to the handlebar though, they mount to my triple tree. Talk about invincible! Bwahahahaha.

I'll share them here when I get them installed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikewrf18

Posted December 06, 2010 - 01:11 PM

Huh, just plastic huh? Scary! I wouldn't trust anyting other than legit metal to protect my hands!

I've got some really cool bark busters coming in. Instead of bolting only to the handlebar though, they mount to my triple tree. Talk about invincible! Bwahahahaha.

I'll share them here when I get them installed.

It looks to me that there is metal on them. It least it appears that way to me in the pic. The plastic is just covering most of the metal bark buster. Those were the first hand guards I ever purchased for my YZF, and they lasted for quite some time. I eventually gave them away to a friend when I purchased new ones, and I think he is still running them.

• Shred Jesse

Posted December 06, 2010 - 02:34 PM

If that's the case, then heck yeah. Plastic alone is not good though. It's what came on my bike, and I'm running for the hills to get away from them, heh. They've resulted in too many broken levers already...

• pickawinner

Posted December 06, 2010 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for taking the time to take pics, and walk us through the process. They look great! This will surely help someone that hasn't done it before.
:thumbsup:
Oh yeah, welcome to the site, I just noticed this is your first post. Lots of great people, and great knowledge here!

Thanks!

Nice job, thanks for the write up. Welcome to the site.

Thanks!

It looks to me that there is metal on them. It least it appears that way to me in the pic. The plastic is just covering most of the metal bark buster. Those were the first hand guards I ever purchased for my YZF, and they lasted for quite some time. I eventually gave them away to a friend when I purchased new ones, and I think he is still running them.

Yes, there's metal inside. It goes all the way through the guard end-end :blah:

• MANIAC998

Posted December 08, 2010 - 06:45 AM

Take note newbie's, this is how it's done!!! Pickawinner, your going to be a great addition to ThumperTalk!!! Welcome aboard!!! Maniac

• redhurricane

Posted December 09, 2010 - 06:59 AM

Great write up. The Acerbis handguards shown have aluminum that the plastic is formed around but in my experience the level of ductility in the metal is too high (too soft) for my tastes. I've "redesigned" more Acerbis handguards more than once by way of a sudden stop by a tree or other rigid object. Upside to that is when they bend you can usually take them off and bend them back to shape without fracturing the metal.

Welcome to the site.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.