Ridereport: First ride on my -11 YZ450F !

19 replies to this topic
  • HRC

Posted December 05, 2010 - 12:12 PM

Finally I got the chance to ride my 2011 YZ450F ! :blah:

It´s winter here in Sweden and it has been very cold the last 3-4 weeks. But this weekend the temperatures became better for riding.

My track was in good condition for winterriding, with ice and a thin layer of snow on top.

Did also put on some new fresh factory studded Trelleborg tires.

Posted Image
Posted Image

My impressions:

Handling: This bike is very stable , compared to my previous bike (2010 CRF450). Feels well balanced and doesn´t do any strange things. Sure the bike feels both bigger and slightly heavier than CRF450, but that is not a bad thing if you ask me. Chassi is very predictable and gave me confidence just after 4-5 laps on the bike ! On my first laps I felt cornering was a little bit ankward but I relized later that I was sitting to much in the middle of the bike, on the -10 CRF450 you could do that, and still it would turn like a knife. But on the Yami you need to move more forward to make it turn easy. And after adapting my riding postion, cornering went much better. I really like the Acerbis X-seat. Sure it is very hard sitting on it but still very easy to move around on. Also provides good grip when you need it.

Suspension: Well balanced front and rear. Overjumped some stuff and suspension took care of it with no problems ! Felt slightly stiff in some situations but probably because suspension isn´t broken in yet, I´m sure it will get better after some hours of riding.

Posted Image

Motor: My track is pretty tight so I never really got the chance to feel the complete powerband. But I can say that this engine has great bottom power compared to -10 CRF450 ! The Acerbis X-seat grip really was needed in some situations for sure ! :ride: But still it was easy to use. I like this engine much better than the lazy -09/-10 CRF 450 engine.
One thing I do miss from my previous bike is the gearbox ! It ain´t bad, but still not as good and spot-on as the Honda gearbox.
Engine was easy to start when cold, but when stalling out on track I had some trouble getting it fired up again. But later I found out that turning the thottle slightly when kicking , engine fired up much easier. On the CRF450 you should never touch the throttle when kicking the engine to life, but the Yami seem to like it !

Brakes: Front brake was great, but rear brake did not give me so much confidence in some situations. A little to weak for my taste and it was hard to get a real feel for it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Overall rating: I give this bike 9.5 blue ballons out of 10. It would have gotten 10 if it weren´t for the weak rearbrake and so,so gearbox feel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk::ride:

And that air-sucking sound from the airbox everybody is talking about ...What´s up with that !?!? I can´t seem to hear it ! Nothing that bothers me at all !

Edited by HRC, December 05, 2010 - 01:22 PM.

• Scrubba

Posted December 05, 2010 - 12:37 PM

another 09crf450 convert!

thanks for sharing your ride.

The yzf is so much more balbanced thant the crf. it looks like you are going quite fast,
but you say your track is tight. what i found out is, when you get it up to speed, the bike feels smaller and smaller, even lighter, due to the design. Id like to hear yourfeedback, once you can get it up to greater speed.

I didnt believe when someone told me the yfz felt closer to a 09 crf, compared to a 08 crf. but i wasnt going fast enogh to feel that. now i can say he was correct.

on the crf, you can feel the weight of either end, front and back, and it never goes away.

I hear justin brayton smoked the bercy supercross and is up to serious speed for anaheim. should be a good year for our bikes with bubba returning to the fray.

have you done the suspension aftermarket? and wait till you get a good slip on. it makes a world of difference and easier to ride.

• HRC

Posted December 05, 2010 - 12:48 PM

another 09crf450 convert!

thanks for sharing your ride.

The yzf is so much more balbanced thant the crf. it looks like you are going quite fast,
but you say your track is tight. what i found out is, when you get it up to speed, the bike feels smaller and smaller, even lighter, due to the design. Id like to hear yourfeedback, once you can get it up to greater speed.

I didnt believe when someone told me the yfz felt closer to a 09 crf, compared to a 08 crf. but i wasnt going fast enogh to feel that. now i can say he was correct.

on the crf, you can feel the weight of either end, front and back, and it never goes away.

I hear justin brayton smoked the bercy supercross and is up to serious speed for anaheim. should be a good year for our bikes with bubba returning to the fray.

have you done the suspension aftermarket? and wait till you get a good slip on. it makes a world of difference and easier to ride.

Suspension is stock, but I will update it later on. I have a Arrow exhaust already installed.:thumbsup:

• TokioMX

Posted December 05, 2010 - 11:15 PM

How do you like your Honda triangle stand? :thumbsup: I learned Yamaha stand being a piece of crap in a hard way when found my bike on the garage floor with bend triangle stand, putting dents on my wife's Peugeot... I use Honda stand now.

Why do you have your rear axle backward? Looks like you have an axle nut on chain side.

Anyway, your bike looks very very nice. I can't imagine riding in snow but understand you couldn't wait winter to be over with a bike like that....

• motojase316

Posted December 05, 2010 - 11:45 PM

Good to see you finally have a ride on the 2011. Great bike huh...
I find my rear brake really solid but I am running Galfer Rotors, they seem to bind a little harder than the stock rotors...

• finbike

Posted December 06, 2010 - 01:23 AM

Damn, that bike has some big "drool factor" :thumbsup: Just dont lay her down in those stone-frozen ruts now!!

• motojase316

Posted December 06, 2010 - 02:02 AM

"Did also put on some new fresh factory studded Trelleborg tires."

How much do those studded tires cost HRC? Not that I will ever need them where I am...

• HRC

Posted December 06, 2010 - 02:54 AM

Why do you have your rear axle backward? Looks like you have an axle nut on chain side.

Your right ! Good call ! :thumbsup:

I´m used to Honda you know ! They have axle nut on chain side.:blah:

• HRC

Posted December 06, 2010 - 03:02 AM

"Did also put on some new fresh factory studded Trelleborg tires."

How much do those studded tires cost HRC? Not that I will ever need them where I am...

You could get a set (front/rear) for cirka 700$

Who knows, the climate may change in the future :thumbsup:

• Swapper265

Posted December 06, 2010 - 05:24 AM

Have been looking forward to your review. Bike looks so trick. If you like the way the bike handles now, you will love it when you get the standard suspension re-valved. I have only had a couple of decent rides on a 2011 YZ450, but hated it. The rear kicked badly and the front deflected even worse. Sag didnt fix this, and clickers barely helped. The track I rode was rough, and rutted, but I really expected a bike that handled better. Once set up, I have no doubt it would be great. Also, you are a brave man taking out a bike that looks like that for its first ride in the snow. I have no comprehension of what contemplating riding in snow must be like, as the coldest it gets here where I live is about 20 degrees celsius.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HRC

Posted December 06, 2010 - 05:43 AM

Have been looking forward to your review. Bike looks so trick. If you like the way the bike handles now, you will love it when you get the standard suspension re-valved. I have only had a couple of decent rides on a 2011 YZ450, but hated it. The rear kicked badly and the front deflected even worse. Sag didnt fix this, and clickers barely helped. The track I rode was rough, and rutted, but I really expected a bike that handled better. Once set up, I have no doubt it would be great. Also, you are a brave man taking out a bike that looks like that for its first ride in the snow. I have no comprehension of what contemplating riding in snow must be like, as the coldest it gets here where I live is about 20 degrees celsius.

When the track is in good condition you have so much grip with these studded tires that it is almost more safe than riding on a summer track. But ofcourse, if you crash things can get real ugly ! Specially now when it isn´t so much snow beside the track yet.

• finbike

Posted December 06, 2010 - 07:57 AM

You could get a set (front/rear) for cirka 700$

Who knows, the climate may change in the future :thumbsup:

Hrc, mayby you should consider ordering from Finland next time? Here we pay ca. 450 euros for a set of trelleborgs!!!

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 06, 2010 - 04:02 PM

Nice thanks for the report, great bike for sure, and I will second the part about having to be far forward on the bike.

• Troutman

Posted December 06, 2010 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the post the pics are great. However, I now feel like a total puss for not riding this weekend because it was about 45 degrees and we thought it was to cold :blah: you are truly hardcore :thumbsup:

• zukboy789

Posted December 06, 2010 - 07:50 PM

Very nice bike and excellent write up.

• YamaLink

Posted December 06, 2010 - 08:01 PM

Those studded tires are very very nice!

• 95s10nj

Posted December 07, 2010 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for the post the pics are great. However, I now feel like a total puss for not riding this weekend because it was about 45 degrees and we thought it was to cold :blah: you are truly hardcore :thumbsup:

Well i'm more of a puss than you...I dont like to ride unless its in the high 50s or above lol. I dont find it enjoyable unless i'm nice and warm plus I like to wash my bike after riding...sick bike HRC

• SEOINAGE

Posted December 07, 2010 - 12:02 PM

Many days here are rideable I just work when it is daylight. Other problem is it hasn't been drying out, and this mud is extremely sticky and slippery, its like clay sort of, and with the stock front tire, it tries to slide out on me, needs replacing so I can ride more. Just can't decide if i want the d952 or the mx51

• sean3239

Posted December 08, 2010 - 04:30 PM

That is a nice looking Yami, but all I can think about is how bad my hands would hurt riding in that weather!

• HRC

Posted December 09, 2010 - 12:15 AM

That is a nice looking Yami, but all I can think about is how bad my hands would hurt riding in that weather!

You see a open fire on some of the pics, thats where you put your hands after 5 laps ! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.