87 ethanol free vs. 93 w/ ethanol?

2 replies to this topic
  • SpED66

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

I've been running 93 octane with 10% ethanol in my bikes (see my sig) & adding Sea Foam gas treatment at each fill up.
Recently found a station close to home that has ethanol free gas, but only offers 87 octane. I'm told they will be moving to 90 octane ethanol free in the near future.
Just wondering if ethanol-free might be the better choice despite being lower octane? Or what about adding octane boost to it? I've heard that straight gas burns cleaner/more efficiently & yields better fuel mileage. Not as hard on rubber & plastics, with less residual buildup too. :thumbsup:

• Lead Head

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

87 octane is 87 octane. 93 is 93. You might get away with 87, but it will probably ping/knock.

Run the 93 and don't worry about the ethanol. My 450 has had the same E10 93 Octane in it since October as I haven't been able to ride that much. If it's real cold out, it can sometimes be hard to start, but runs fine otherwise. The ethanol problems are really overstated.

• orangyktmthing

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:24 AM

In michigan, there has been ethanol in our gas for over ten years and if taken care of properly, there isn't an issue. I have left e10 in my bike for 2/3 months when I don't have time to even drain it out (damn careers!) and it starts almost as normally as fresh gas. From there, I have pulled carbs apart and they look just fine inside. You really want to use the higher octane fuels, though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

are 2000 -2003 yz 125 cylinders then same? by dawson1120

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 CR125 fork oil capacity by J.Tomasello

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Kx 500 2002 by casualrider1994

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

1986 honda xr250r rebuild! by Dirt-Mink

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2002 CR250 FLAT Mid Powerband...Why? Pics inside too :) by kawi008

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.