no reuturn tenson at clutch lever after new clutch install?

4 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted December 02, 2010 - 02:34 PM

I installed a new clutch, OEM plates fibers and steels and EBC springs. Had Tension before. now No spring tension. What happend?:thumbsup:

• KJ790

Posted December 02, 2010 - 02:43 PM

If your old clutch was worn out, then the new clutch stack will be thicker, and thus you have to adjust the cable length to make up the difference so that you have tension. If you still can't get any then the common causes are losing the little ball that sits on the end of the actuator arm (#17 in the diagram) http://www.yamahaoft...2010&fveh=38884 Or that the pressure plate is not sitting properly and is being held up off of the clutch stack.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted December 02, 2010 - 02:45 PM

I checked and the ball is in place. I will take it apart again and check the pressure plate and actuator arm.

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2010 - 03:34 PM

Too many plates?

The kits for the '06 are one plate thicker than those for any of the later clutches. You can add the extra pair, but only if you change the release arm, pressure plate, and springs.

• Family Man

Posted December 02, 2010 - 05:33 PM

There was way to much slack in the clutch cable... Thanks KJ790. I took apart the entire clutch three times to figure this out. I had to take slack out of the cable barrel adjuster, the quick adjuster wasn't enough. My old clutch was hammered. The release arm used to almost touch the case when the clutch was engaged. I think this was throwing me off. Now it rides about in the middle between the end of the barrel adjuster and the case. Works great. If this clutch fries quickly I will probley convert to the 06 like Greyracer513 reccomends. Im a clutch abuser.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.