went for a ride in the snow...

29 replies to this topic
  • SEOINAGE

Posted January 03, 2011 - 05:53 AM

Speaking of deep snow. I was riding around in about 8 inches to a foot, depending on where I was at. Was a lot of fun, and even managed to climb a little hill, rear tire was just spinning really fast and i was in second and third most of the time, as long as there was powder I could keep the front from washing out, but on the trails where snowmobiles and four wheelers went it was a lot harder.

Ok so with that in mind I was looking at my bike the other day, never had a chance to wash it after the ride, I noticed a thick wire wrapped around my rear tire on the sprocket side, and parts of the wire were over the sprocket so the chain was running over the wire each rotation. sprocket looks to be slightly damaged, I ordered a new chain but its on back order, I think the sprocket will be fine, just hope there wasn't any permanent damage otherwise.

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2011 - 07:41 AM

Winter sucks.

Why,...what ever do you mean? It's the height of the season right now. :excuseme:

• Polar_Bus

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:26 AM

I noticed a thick wire wrapped around my rear tire on the sprocket side, and parts of the wire were over the sprocket so the chain was running over the wire each rotation. sprocket looks to be slightly damaged, I ordered a new chain but its on back order, I think the sprocket will be fine, just hope there wasn't any permanent damage otherwise.

Years ago I was at a new to me outdoor pit track, and somehow ran over the burned carcass of a car tire, the steel inner chords all sucked up into my rear sprocket and bent my sprocket! Luckily that was the extent of the damage, it could have been a lot worse, like exploding my rear wheel hub or breaking the case around the countershaft sprocket...

• beezer

Posted January 03, 2011 - 02:42 PM

Why,...what ever do you mean? It's the height of the season right now. :excuseme:

But you'll never know the joy of frozen fingers and toes.

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2011 - 03:48 PM

But you'll never know the joy of frozen fingers and toes.

The beauty of it is that I actually could if I wanted to. We went out for a snow ride a couple of years ago, but the snow was too deep, so we went on to the desert and rode in 70 degree weather instead :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted January 03, 2011 - 04:15 PM

When I was young and had a reaction time, I used to ride all year round (on the street) in the NYC metro area.
I was riding a Yamaha 175 and used to have a terrific time roosting in the snow with no cars about, making massive speedway like turns.
The dealership I worked at had a huge parking lot with a giant warehouse in the middle. In the winter, no customers and we'd carve out a 1/8th mile loop. Rules were feet up, first person to dab bought dinner. Nothing like a '74 Yamaha 250MX at full lock, WFO, snowblowing.
I still go out every year in the snow but it is a battle for me now, I am a few minutes behind my bike now. Oddly, I really enjoy mountain biking in it and get terrific traction with the plain off road tires, even on polished ice. Though once my speed exceeds about 15mph, the bikes starts to get all squirrelly.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:19 PM

Anyone tried the product called "Grip Studs"? They look to have potential.....

In EDIT: I dunno why the link I tried to provide doesn't work..... :excuseme: Why does it do that?

http://www.**************

I won't be seeing any 70 deg. temps for several months; these might work out on a spare tire I have laying around......

Jimmie

• Polar_Bus

Posted January 04, 2011 - 03:46 AM

Anyone tried the product called "Grip Studs"? They look to have potential.....

In EDIT: I dunno why the link I tried to provide doesn't work..... :excuseme: Why does it do that?

http://www.**************

I won't be seeing any 70 deg. temps for several months; these might work out on a spare tire I have laying around......

Jimmie

Those "auger" type carbide studs look strong, and very resistant to pulling out, but considering I have about 800 screws in my KX500, a comprable amount of Grip Studs will get EXPENSIVE..

I tried to paste your link as well, same issue. I'm thinking a temporary TT server glitch....

• tech24

Posted January 04, 2011 - 04:42 AM

Its the grip stud webisite I have tried a link to that before with same results. I almost bought them for the rear because they would be nice and I think they would stay in place very well. But i'm going with kold kutters instead since I can get a 1000 for less than what a 100 grip studs would cost. Maybe next year!

• beezer

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:56 AM

If those studs would stay in they would be the ticket. You need a special tool to put in the ones I have. Pirelli MT-16's seem to be the best tires for studding. They hold the studs and give great traction.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.